• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcone3

Now this question is isn't related to PCs but it is related to water cooling. I am trying to build a water cooling system for a high power led and need help on the sizing of the radiator. The led it self is a 30 watt led array. I was planning on using one of this radiator (http://www.micropumps.co.uk/TCSAcc-Cooling.htm) and attaching a 50mm fan on top that make 12 cfm. Do guys think this well be enough to cool a 30 watt led. Any recommendations or tips are greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Can you give us a picture of the array configuration? Are you trying to cool the array's power supply? The lights themselves will hardly put out any heat and anyway, I don't know how you would cool the lights themselves. Is this a PC application? If I were you I'd contact the company who makes the rads and ask them if there is a watt rating on them?

Here is the spec on it
CH1*(2x Luxeon T 2700K warm white, 1x Luxeon T 4000K neutral white, 2x Rebel ES lime)
13.6v @ 350mA (4.8 watts)
14v @ 700mA (9.8 watts)
14.3v @ 1A (14.3 watts)

CH2*(4x Luxeon T royal blue)
10.9v @ 350mA (3.8 watts)
11.2v @ 700mA (7.8 watts)
11.5v @ 1A (11.5 watts)

CH3*(2x SemiLEDs C35 violet)
6.8v @ 350mA (2.4 watts)
7.2v @ 700mA (5 watts)

CH4*(1x Rebel blue, 1x Rebel cyan)
5.8v @ 350mA (2 watts)
6.2v @ 700mA (4.3 watts)
6.4v @ 1A (6.4 watts)
The max continues watt is 30 watt
I plan on cooling the led by attaching them to a water cooling block, using thermal paste. It not really a pc application but since people on this Forum have a lot of experience with water cooling I thought it was a good place to ask. Instead of cooling a cpu I am trying to cool an led array. The setup itself well be a water block with the led attached to it. Then a small pump that pumps water tRue the radiator that has a small fan blowing air at it and then back to the water block just like a normal pc water cooling setup

Last edited:
I would honestly leave it the way it is. 30w is not alot to cause so much heat. You might get some warmth or heat from it but nothing that should damage anything. Not sure why you're doing this nor am I sure if there are said issues with these light panels.

Link us the actual product. What will its use mainly be? Also, don't you have a warranty on that product?

If you are "attaching this to a water cooling block with thermal paste" realize this won't work unless the LED panel base is smooth and flat like a CPU top is. It needs to make good contact with the water block so that only a thin layer of TIM is needed. Sorry, I just can't picture what you are trying to do.

The led are for a aquarium project I am working on. They do need heat sink because they create enough heat to destroy them self if they are not cooled. They are perfectly flat they measure 1.5 inches by 2 inch.
Instead of thinking led, think of it as a 30 watt cpu, do you think the setup I mentioned is capable of cooling a 30 watt cpu. At full capacity the cpu uses 30 watt.

Last edited:
Are you able to passively cool it with a heat sink slapped to it or even with the use of a fan? (I think a heatsink and fan are your best options.)

Give us more info on this and the product. If you can't supply us a link to the manufacturer of that LED than give us some pics of the whole thing and what area needs to be cooled and what area gets hot. How hot? Give us temps.

Are you going to be using the liquid from the aquarium or will it have its own reservoir, pump and fluid?

The info most of us here know are from experts that have tested and benchmarked PC water cooling gear from reputed manufacturers. The minimum we start with are 120mm radiators that handle on average 100w. I couldn't tell you what those miniature heat exchangers can dissipate. You'll also have to be worry of corrosion. Not sure if that is solid aluminum.

There are too many variables for this as you haven't given us enough specifics or shown us enough to give you a educated guess. Its really a coin flip and a standstill. I'm sure some are boggled on why you need to water cool a 30w LED light. Give us a bit more so we can better assist you.

The array look like this https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7530/16222677561_fa8a37721d_z.jpg
It will have its own reservoir, pump and fluid that why I am looking into those small radiator I want to keep the system as compact as possible. The smallest pc radiator I have seen are dual 40mm radiator. I think they are solid aluminum the company is very trust Worthy. The surface that needs to be cooled is 1.5 inches by 2 inches. I am looking at keeping the system hopefully below 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The led we use in aquarium are extremely high power and if the we're not cooled they would continue to heat up until they destroy them self. I know an actively cooled heat sink that is about 4.5 inch by 3 inch with a fan on it can keep the system cooled, here is some thermal image data of how cool that heat sink keeps it at
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7288/15837657404_2c98ddaef9_o.jpg
I know those 30 watt will not be all concerted to heat at worst case with an efficiency of 50 percent I would be looking at cooling 15 watt and thanks for the help, really appreciate it

Last edited:
Like I said, I would contact the manufacturer of those radiators you linked in your first post and ask them about cooling capacity wattage.

Ok I just ask them about what their cooling capacity wattage is any thing else you recommend to ask

Back