• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help! o/c no longer stable after reinstalling windows!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lookus

Registered
i had a q9550 on a p5q deluxe overclocked to 4.0 ghz. it was both prime blend and small fft stable for more than 24 hrs. i then formatted my hard drive, reinstalled windows, reinstalled chipset drivers and other drivers related to my mobo(however these newly installed drivers were the latest ones downloaded from asus website, not the original drivers from the cd that came with the mobo as the original install was, as i lost the driver cd) i don't know how this could affect my o/c.

i then restored the 4.0 ghz oc that i saved into my o/c profile in bios and away i went. i tried to run pc mark and the computer crashed after about 15 secs and restarted. i then ran prime 95 small fft's and i core failed after 5 secs.

could someone please help me . i have no idea what the problem could be or what to do to regain my 4.0ghz o/c.

what have i done?

sorry. i should have mentioned that. before reinstalling windows. i reverted back to stock clock speeds, reinstalled then reloaded o/c setting.

:confused::confused::confused:

:bang head:bang head:bang head

Last edited:
ok. i reverted back to default bios settings. ie - cpu at stock clock speed.

i then ran prime95 blend test and core 4 failed after about 2mins!!

this should not happen should it?

what is going on?

someones learned experience would be invaluable to me.

cheers.

Hmm, something ain't right. You mentioned you installed the latest drivers from Asus' site. Does this include the chipset drivers as well?

Maybe reverting to the older chipset drivers might help (which I know is odd).

any particular reason you switched drivers? if you dont need em just revert back to the old ones. if your still not stable with the old drivers i dont know what to tell ya, but i say if aint broke dont fix it (ie if the old drivers worked and you had no problems why change em?)
good luck

thanks for the help all. answers to all your questions.

VID - 1.2125

stock vcore - 1.14v

i reinstalled because i had a o/c q6600 with geforce 8600 video card. i then upgraded to a q9550 cpu. i then reached 3.8ghz easily before my new video card arrived. i uninstalled old vid card and installed new one and proceeded further with my o/c, which got me to 4.0ghz which i then tweaked to stability with the settings below. there was an issue with the video rendering somewhere as i wasn't able to preview video while comressing files and as i hadn't reinstalled windows for a while i thought with the system complete that now would be a good time to do it . clean install and fix the viseo glitch. reinstalled windows, no glitches, but now realised i'm unstable everywhere.

during my initial stress tests temps reached 65deg once, which with tj max at 95 instead of the now advised 100 means that it probably reached 70deg while mostly running at 62deg(tj max 100)

this isn't a damaging temp is it?

i had to change drivers because i lost my driver cd which came with the mobo.

AI Overclock tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 8.5
FSB Strap to North Bridge: auto
FSB Frequency: 470
PCI-E Frequency: 101
DRAM Frequency: auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2: AUTO
DRAM Timing Control: Manual

1st Information :

CAS# Latency: 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15
RAS# to RAS# Delay : AUTO
Row Refresh Cycle Time: auto
Write Recovery Time: AUTO
Read to Precharge Time: AUTO

2nd Information :

READ to WRITE Delay (S/D): AUTO
Write to Read Delay (S): AUTO
WRITE to READ Delay (D): AUTO
READ to READ Delay (S): AUTO
READ to READ Delay (D): AUTO
WRITE to WRITE Delay (S): AUTO
WRITE to WRITE Delay (D): AUTO

3rd Information :

WRITE to PRE Delay: AUTO
READ to PRE Delay: AUTO
PRE to PRE Delay: AUTO
ALL PRE to ACT Delay: AUTO
ALL PRE to REF Delay: AUTO
DRAM Static Read Control: auto
DRAM Read Training: auto
MEM. OC Charger: auto
AI Clock Twister: auto
AI Transaction Booster: auto

CPU Voltage: 1.24375
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): AUTO
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (1/3): AUTO
CPU PLL Voltage: auto
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.28
DRAM Voltage: 2.02
NB Voltage: 1.30
NB GTL Reference: AUTO
SBridge Voltage: 1.2
PCIE SATA Voltage: 1.60

Load Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Clock Skew : Auto
NB Clock Skew : Auto
Cpu margin enhancement : OPTIMIZED

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: 8.5
CPU VID: 1.2125
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: ENABLED
Execute Disable Bit: ENABLED

sorry for the long winded affair, but i just want to give you as much potential relevant info as possible.

thanks again for the help.

I know this sounds odd, but I couldnt oc at all when I 1st built my pc. A friend told me to go into msconfig and disable everything on startup. I did and ever since then I could oc with no problems. Start enabling things 1 by 1 to see if its a software issue. Good luck!

Try setting DRAM Frequency to a 200/800 (1:2) NB strap = 980 MHz at 470 FSB. Increase Vcore to 1.3v, increase vNB from 1.3v to 1.45-1.50v (2x2 GB sticks of RAM requires more voltage w/ a higher FSB), change CPU PLL Voltage from AUTO to 1.5-1.55v, change FSB Termination Voltage from 1.28v to 1.2v, change PCI-E Freq. from 101 to 100 MHz, Change both CPU GTL Ref. Voltage settings to 0.63x, and NB GTL Ref. Voltage to 0.67x. You'll also want to play around w/ both the CPU and NB Clock Skew settings.

i would recommend trying to find the older drivers on the ol interweb. should be able to. if that still doesnt work then try searching bios a little more extensively and see if possibly something wasnt saved correctly. other than that try pm biglar. he has a q9400 but the same board and he is getting pretty close to where you were at. maybe he could tell you what he has his setting at and you could you use them as reference. good luck.

hi. thanks for the help.

after more testing my main issue mow is -

WHY AM I NO LONGER STABLE AT STOCK BIOS SPEEDS AND SETTINGS?

i have tried to trouble shoot. so if it most likely is either cpu, ram or mobo failure.

with all stock bios settings i increased the vcore to 1.25v - result = still have prime95 failure after 1 hr.

i then increased vdim to 2.04v - result = still have prime95 failure after 1.5 hrs

i ran memtest86 ver 3.4 - with vdim at 2.04v
(i must admit i don't know if i need to configure memory sizing because of 4gbram with 32 bit windows, so i just booted the iso file and let it run the default test )
result- after 2 passes no errors so far.

does this mean that maybe my mobo is the problem?

if i have to buy new components then fine, i just have to find a way to isolate the failed part, without replacing everything.

does anyone reading this have any suggestions as to the problem or for finding a solution?

your ongoing supprt and advice is greatly appreciated.

Only way to test other components without buying new parts is to test in another pc. Otherwise you're going to play the guessing game and replace evrything piece by piece to find the culprit.

Thus is why when I build a new pc, I use the older parts to build a back-up pc. This is for 2 reasons:

1) To have a back-up rig incase the main goes down

2) To test parts in without using the main for that.

Back