• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC'ing my 940BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HitchHiker

At the suggestion of RGone I've created a topic for some assistance OC'ing my 940BE CPU if possible. For starters I'm new to OC'ing but not completely PC illiterate. My PC specs are:

MOBO > ASUS M3A79-T Socket 940
CPU & Cooler > AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ940XCGIBOX|Cooler XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition CPU Cooler with Stealth Aerospace Industry Thermal
MEMORY > Kingston HyperX 4GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2K2/4GDesktop Memory Model KHX8500D2K2/8G
POWER SUPPLY > Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.2 80 PLUS
VIDEO CARD > ATI 5850 1G GDDR5
HDDs/Optical drives > Intel SSD 120GB SSDSC2MH120A2 2.5"
SOUND DEVICE > On-Board MOBO Sound
USB > Photo Printer|Logitech G930 Wireless Headset|Logitech DiNovo Blue-Tooth Key/Mouse|Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas|Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital|Contour Shuttle Pro V2|Saitek Pro Command Unit|TrackIR|Thrustmaster MFDs
O/S > Win Vista 64
Case > Antec Nine Hundred Two

And my CPUZ tab info is attached and will attach some captures of the hardware monitor after P95 has been running for a bit.

If I can provide any additional info just let me know (Thanks RGone for pointing me in the right direction).

Thx
Chris

Attachments

• CPUZ CPU Tab.JPG
    CPUZ CPU Tab.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 47
  • CPUZ Memory Tab.JPG
    CPUZ Memory Tab.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 45
  • CPUZ SPD Tab.JPG
    CPUZ SPD Tab.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 46
Alright I've attached some captures of the HW Monitor before and after P95 was running for about 23mins:

Attachments

• Hardware Monitor Before P95.JPG
    Hardware Monitor Before P95.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Hardware Monitor After P95.JPG
    Hardware Monitor After P95.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 47
For the purpose of testing, I would disable Cool N Quiet, C1E, and any other such 'green' settings in the bios. Then go into windows power mode and choose 'performance' so that windows does not throttle back the speeds when not loaded. You may RE-enable later for heat and power savings, after getting stable overclock.

Then bump the cpu multiplier to 16 and test P95 Blend for 20 mins. Hopefully that 200Mhz speed increase causes no issues and P95 passes without issue. The ram and CPU/NB should stay the same so this should not need the three captures of CPUz tabs of CPU, Memory and SPD this time. Later if we start to change CPU/NB.

The only think I would add to Rgone's suggestions is setting your voltages manually, if you haven't already.

Hey guys just a little update that I haven't had a chance to try anything yet. Combination of school in the morning and being a stay at home dad (two year old daughter)

Teach her to overclock :), I'm showing my son how to OC and old pc I have, he's 9 though.

I still trying to teach her not to press the sleep button on my wireless keyboard lol! I'll be flying a flight simulation online and she'll run into the room and sure enough every time hits the sleep button. Shame on me for not disabling the button though.......

Definitely have a chance to do this over the weekend.

Yeah a thousand + dollars in flight sim gear and a "Sleep" button brings it all to its knees!

Back