• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help on O/C a GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
On my mobo there are 2 NB voltage controls. Which one should i increase?

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/985/3/

CPU NB Frequency and CPU NB VID control.

The other one dealing with the PCIE has to do with onboard video. That's not it. Some years ago the memory controller was on the motherboard instead of built into the CPU die as it is now. Back then it was called the "North Bridge" chip and also coordinated the video function; sort of a combined function in one chip. Then they moved the memory controller part of it onto the CPU die. Hence the term, "CPU NB". Now the motherboard chipset NB only does the video. But this is a never ending source of confusion to beginner overclockers, especially with some bioes that don't distinguish them very well with terminology choice.

Last edited:
I can't increase neither the memory speed nor the NB. When i do that the prime tests fail.

My memory is supposed to run at 1,5v default but the motherboard can only operate at 1,6v and there is no lower setting on the BIOS. This is clear on HDWmonitor. When i increased the CPU NB Vid voltage prime test failed even sooner. The only way i can run @ 3,6GHz is with memory speed at x4.00 and HT link x6.

Attachments

• 061911_120316.jpg
    061911_120316.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 061911_151329.jpg
    061911_151329.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 198
Okay, it seems that you are running into some bios limitations with regard to some of my suggestions. However, the reason you fail Prime when you increase the memory speed is because your timings are so tight. Look at the JEDEC columns in "SPD" tab and compare them with your own timings in the "Memory" tab of CPU-z. I'm sure the memory will run faster if you loosen the timings. But whether the performance would be better or worse at faster speeds and looser timings is debatable. Doing some benchmarking with the ram like it is now and then with it at a faster speed but more relaxed timings is the only way to tell.

Last edited:
As you already said it is not a sophisticated chipset. I am quite happy cause i achieved a 1GHz o/c and Sisoft sandra showed some pretty good results.

The most important is that i can see the difference on my pc and everything runs much faster! Maybe if i would improve the watercooled design i could achieve even higher speeds but as said i prefer it quiet rather than gain another 100MHz and listen to a helicopter in my room :)

Once again thank you for your time and effort! I really learned alot!!!

You did very well and I could tell you picked things up quickly. Glad to help. God bless.

Back