• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help on this...........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IcedOut9mmX

Registered
i am gonn buy this ........Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro Socket 754 AthlonTM 64 DDR MB With Athlon64 3500+ CPU & Fan for around $645 wanting to know if thats worth it or better stuff for cheaper or what not around same price....also i was gonna buy i video card gonna go all out on that so whats a better one ATI x800 or then Nvidia 6800.........maybe some links on this stuff that would help thanx brOs

The 3500+ is socket 939 last time I checked, unless they came out with a 754 version. You can get a 3700+ for a bit more, but imo its not worth it. Grab a 3200+ and some good ram, and overclock it. For video cards, the x800xt is a bit faster than the 6800U, and the x800pro is a bit slower than the 6800gt. The XT and Ultra are very close in speed, just go with what you are comfortable with. The XT makes less heat, while the 6800 has more features.

Ohh, I forgot to mention this. The socket 754 3200+ runs at 2.2ghz and has 1mb of L2 cache, single channel ram. The socket 939 3500+ also runs at 2.2ghz and has just 512k or L2 cache. It has dual channel ram though, but in games the 3200+ actualy beats it because dual channel doesnt help much in games. The extra cache outweighs it.

IcedOut9mmX said:
i am gonn buy this ........Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro Socket 754 AthlonTM 64 DDR MB With Athlon64 3500+ CPU & Fan for around $645 wanting to know if thats worth it or better stuff for cheaper or what not around same price....also i was gonna buy i video card gonna go all out on that so whats a better one ATI x800 or then Nvidia 6800.........maybe some links on this stuff that would help thanx brOs
Well, Socket 754 don't have 3500+ if you haven't notice. I'm sure most would tel you to get 3200+ or 3000+ and overclock it up to the 3400+ and beyond. (going mobiles will limit the choices of mobos) It's all up to what you really want and spend, really. If you prefer not overclocking too much and rather prefer overall stable system without too many modifications, then you might want to spend some money on 3400+ (even 3700+). Me personally, I'm on my way to set up A64-M 3200+/MSI K8N PLAT/X800 XT. In terms of graphic cards, I'm sick of nvidia making ****ty image quality while under performing at high resolution/AA-AF, in other words, go with ATI.

I lean toward ati because of the lower power usage, but then again, I have an XPC so the 6800 wouldnt fit anyway. It uses a 2 slot cooler doesnt it? It also requires 2 power molexes if I remember correctly.

In terms of power consumption, anything but 6800 ULTRA will only have one molex connector. As well as the dual slot thing, more than enough manufactures have cut them down to single slot design.

Back