• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help pick best IPS display for work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

3Dgeo

Registered
Hello,

I'm looking to spend about 1000-1200 eur on new display, here is the problem:

Originally I planned buying this one: Dell U3014 http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-u3014/pd
I did very indepth reaserch, I found out that it has its cons (even being very expensive and „top of the line“), worst of them is backlight bleed, even today U3014 is REV A07 (7 version of this monitor) I don't think they fix backlight bleed (can't find any intel on that).

And rescently I came across this puppy: LG 31MU97-B http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-31MU97-B-4k-ips-led-monitor
It has humongos true 4K wide res, tho its not 12bit as dell, but still 10 bit (i hope it will be enough to avoid color banding?) pannel with fraction more Adobe RGB coveridge (99% vs 99,5%). It has same problm too - backlight bleeding.

Logicaly I should go for LG (its even cheaper than Dell, tho Dell has 3 year warranty vs LG 1 year), but here comes problems:
1. PPI - Dell is about 100, LG 150. I really don't want to upscale UI, is 150PPI will be still workable with no upscaling?
2. Horspower to drive 4K, I own Quadro 6000, it max res at 60hz is 2560x1600 (as dell, that why I was looking at it in the first place). What will happend if I plug 4K LG to my Quadro? Will it even work (just on lower hz)? Or not at the full resoliution? I don't have a clue what to expect in this situation.
3. I found few Koreans versions of Dell on half a price, they lack of color calibration capabilities, but they work prety well according to reviewers.
4. Im not huge fan of apple, but I must admint that one thing they make good, that is displays, maybe I should go for apple display? I believe they have lower GtoG refresh time, but not so bad or even no backlight bleed.

Btw, no gaming, only for work - 3D, photos, videos, dall ~1200 eur, LG ~1050 eur

These displays ar very expensive, so this desition is very hard to make, I hope someone can advice, and sorry for mistakes, english is not my native language.

You can't drive a 4k monitor with your current video card. The max resolution it supports is 2560x1600 so you won't be able to go any higher than that regardless of the refresh rate.

That probably makes the decision a little easier because I don't think you want to run a 4k monitor at a non-native resolution.

That said, I don't think I would want to spend this kind of money on a monitor today and not buy a 4k display. Obviously that completely destroys your budget though as a new quadro is going to be very expensive. What exactly are you doing on this display/workstation? Do you need the quadro card or could you get away with a "consumer" grade card?

You can't drive a 4k monitor with your current video card. The max resolution it supports is 2560x1600 so you won't be able to go any higher than that regardless of the refresh rate.

That probably makes the decision a little easier because I don't think you want to run a 4k monitor at a non-native resolution.

That said, I don't think I would want to spend this kind of money on a monitor today and not buy a 4k display. Obviously that completely destroys your budget though as a new quadro is going to be very expensive. What exactly are you doing on this display/workstation? Do you need the quadro card or could you get away with a "consumer" grade card?

Hi, yes, you named my problem, just in diferent point of view :) What even wors is that my Quadro is watercooled. I will buy only GTX in the future (no matter what people say Quadro hardvare is exactly same as GTX), but I can't invest in it now. The only real deal breaker for 4K LG if UI elements is too small to work with (I work with a lot o grogram, changing UI is not an option). so if someone will confirm that UI is too small than Dell it is, else I probably sell Quadro and will get GTX.

I think the UI scaling would depend on the applications and their ability to take advantage of OS UI scaling. (turning up the DPI, etc). If that is a worry for you then maybe sticking with a lower resolution may be the right choice.

I think the UI scaling would depend on the applications and their ability to take advantage of OS UI scaling. (turning up the DPI, etc). If that is a worry for you then maybe sticking with a lower resolution may be the right choice.

It would be awesome if someone with 4k display could comment on using adobe or autodesk software and their UI size.

Back