• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help picking a new GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aggeluska

Registered
Hello everyone , recently I bought computer compnents to build up my new PC . I bought everything except Graphic card . I am gonna buy a graphic card by the end of the month .

what I bought already .

Fx6300
530 watt PSU 83% effic.
8gb ddr3 1600mhz RAM
1TB HDD sata 3

I am looking now to buy a graphic card since I like to play games .

I play in 720p resolution . My budget for the GPU is around 110 euro . I found already these 3 here , r7 250x 2GB , r7 260x 1 GB and GTX 650 ti Boost.

Could you please help me picking up a card? or you can suggest me an other one ?

Extra question: whats teh difference in frame rate between 720p and 1080p ? how many frames can you lose switching from 720p to 1080p ?

I am asking this because I was reviewing GPUs in youtube , but everyone uses 1080p resolution to make the review .for instance when someone on his/her video have a r7 250x 2gb and play s Crysis 3 in 1080p and gets 20 FPS , I know its not playable . what if he/she swtiches to 720p ? will the framerate increase to more than 30 ? this is a very important question to me because if 720p can increase the frame rate by 10-15 then I could go for a cheaper GPU , since I play on 720p.

thanks in advance,

Aggelos

From looking here:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1040?vs=1044

It looks like the 650ti boost would be the way to go. Granted those run at 1080p (as it is more of a standard nowadays), but you can probably expect at least a handful of an FPS increase going from 1080p to 720p across the board, granted you will likely also need to play on medium-ish settings at that resolution to get a respectable and consistent framerate.

You didn't mention which games you play, can you list off a few?

now I play Smite , CSGO , Insurgency . These the everyday standars but whenever a good game comes out , I would liek to try it . the evil within , the new resident evil coming next year etc . Looking in the website you linked me with r7 260x , I can play high all games LOL :p

530W PSU that is 83% efficicient? Yikes. Sounds old... What is the specific brand and model?

If you have 1080p I would use 1080p. Lower than that leans more on the CPU and not the GPU. Plus I am assuming you have an LCD monitor and running outside of its native resolution tends to blur things. As far as the frame difference, I wouldn't be able to pin it down to a specific percentage.

What is your budget for the GPU? I really wouldn't go less than a 7950/R9 285/GTX 760 for 1080p these days.

750ti is better than a 650ti and would be the bare minimum card to play at 1080p for me. Think of it this way. With your brand new card, you will have to lower settings day one to play with acceptable frame rates if you go 660ti or less. What about in a year? Two? As I said, to have any sort of lasting life, I wouldn't go less than R9 280x or GTX 760. That way at least today you can play your games and have them look like they should, and in a year or two, you can then look at tweaking settings as needed.

To be honest I never had a GPu to play everything I want on high . these GPus you mentioned are extremely expensive :( You know I have my PC here rdy and I dont have a F*** GPu so i will be able to run it . and I am waiting already 1 month to gather money and buy a GPu so I could play :D I guess I will go for the GTX 750 ti

It is what it is my friend. If that is all you have and cannot wait, you cant! I'm just the type of person to wait to get what would be best instead of instant gratification/myopic thinking. :)

Grab a 750ti and enjoy. :)

Back