• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help picking out a mother board.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mountain

Registered
Someone has asked me to build a computer for them. I've been looking at the GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK, and GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK and can't decide which one to get. The customer has a PCI add-in sound card, so PCI is important. He was also thinking of upgrading to the new SBZ that uses the PCI-E 1x slot. Is gigabyte a good brand and are these two boards that I've mentioned any good? Do you guys recommend anything else in the same price range. Thank you.

Tracy

What's the rest of the build?
What's the intended usage?
If gaming, what resolution?
What's the budget?
What headphones are they using? Any external amp?

Sorry, I just need helping picking out the mother board. The budget for that is $160. I've compared the two, and the differences are negligible. With an extra 4x PCI-e, and 2 PCI slots. More USB 3.0 ports on the back and 2 more SATA connections. So are these boards any good?

Tracy

The boards are fine... as are any at that price level so long as it has the features you are looking for.

I just want to make sure its good. I've been reading some other posts, and I would like to stay clear of MSI. Do you have any other suggestions other than the two boards I've been looking at? Other brands that are just as good or better. If if were, you what would you get? Oh, it needs to have video headers; DB15/DVI-D/HDMI. He wants a video editing computer built, and he'll be using many external USB 3.0 drives as storage for backup. Does that help?

I hear way too much (for no reason) to stay away from MSI...

Why does it need to have video headers? Why, for the task of video editing, would you not want a discrete card? Depending on teh software, a lot of that load can move to a GPU and be done much faster...

Gigabyte and Asus are both very good brands from everything i've seen. I'm currently looking into swapping over to Intel so i've been looking at ALOT of z97 boards the past few days.

Why does it need to have video headers? Why, for the task of video editing, would you not want a discrete card? Depending on teh software, a lot of that load can move to a GPU and be done much faster...

And this is why I asked for all the information above...

He is getting a discrete video card. However, the GPU on the CPU will work great for his viewing monitor.
We have got a bit off topic. So, out of the two (or whatever you recommend) boards I listed which one should I get for him?

As stated earlier, either will be fine. There is no benefit or better over the other outside of some feature sets. You know what he needs so that choice is up to you Tracy. :)

I can't say its off topic... we are trying to get information to better help but... its difficult. :)

EDIT: Though speaking of off topic... can you say what was done to fix the issue in your old exchange thread? http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-Exchange-Guru-s-needed?p=7776025#post7776025

Last edited:
The video card needs to support OpenCL 2.0 and the HD graphics 4600 built on the CPU will work great, according to Sony. I'm Finding it difficult in finding a dedicated card that supports OpenCL 2.0.
The CPU of choice is a Core i7-4790K, just in case you needed that.

Yes, the R9 290 specifically. Looks like I can use any OpenCL compliant card. Such as the GTX580. Fermi based cards only. This is what I've been reading and learning as this threads moves on.

Not all GPUs support OpenCL 2.0, be sure to check the revision of OpenCL supported.

Sorry, I just need helping picking out the mother board. The budget for that is $160. I've compared the two, and the differences are negligible. With an extra 4x PCI-e, and 2 PCI slots. More USB 3.0 ports on the back and 2 more SATA connections. So are these boards any good?

Tracy

If you don't help us, we can't help you. All of ATMINSIDE's questions were 100% relevant to answering your question. He was asking about audio because on most $130-160 class motherboards these days, the audio is as good as a sub $100 soundcard. Onboard audio has advanced by leaps and bounds. For example, the ASRock Z97 extreme 6 has better sound than does the Soundblaster Z.

Given your budget, I suggest an ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 motherboard and that the customer throw their soundcard in a drawer or sell it.
As the tech you need to explain things like "Modern onboard is going to be better than your soundcard" to your clients or they could make stupid decisions, or cause you to make stupid decisions. :p:D
Only $200 class soundcards are going to sound better than ALC1150 with proper implementation, which is what the Extreme 6 has. And if you're spending $200 on a sound card, you're MUCH better off getting an external DAC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7&cm_re=HT_omega_claro-_-29-271-007-_-Product
^This will sound better than the integrated audio on the Ex 6. Soundblaster Z will not.

ASRock Ex 6 has very robust power delivery, exceptional onboard audio with both front and rear headphone amps, dual LAN for teaming, tons of SATA, dual M.2, both of which are full length. One is ultra M.2.
It is the best board, by far, in its price bracket, and you should get it. Everyone who has gotten one that we know of is very happy with it.

Last edited:
Back