• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP] Replaced Thermal Paste on Dell n5010

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sibzsangreal

Dell n5010 has a huge problem on overheating cpu.. so i tried to replace my thermal paste i removed the existing one and found out that it was super thick specially with the VGA card. and ive read in the forums that, that many thermal paste would cause it to be an insulator as it should be a conductor for heat.

so I bought an ArcticSilver5 and followed tutorials on how to disassemble my laptop (im sure i did it right and carefully) and applied the thermal Paste as suggested a little Dot at the center and let the heatSink spread it across. (i think i did this right)

but when i tried to test it- my laptop shuts down... i was stunned-
then tried to apply it again with more thermal paste.. as i lift up the heatsink the paste was spread on a great surface area so i was thinking what went wrong it should be cooler- i added more and got same results

-at the end it shuts down everytime., fan is working great i dont feel the air was that hot compared to my old thermal paste. but i dot know why it just shuts down,. my computer only detects half the ram installed so i was worried im making things worse..

what can i do and what did i do wrong-

try less paste for starters. less is more. especially with AS5 you can get that about as thin as humanly possible. i like to use a razorblade

try one stick of ram at a time- switch slots. try to boot the laptop with as little as possible connected. how long before it shuts down? have you tried some hardware monitoring softwware (hardware mon)

im about to try CPU-z and GPU-z
as it is not dying today-

sometimes, it shuts down a few minutes after windows boot, then after dying 1st time, the succeeding attempts gets worse to the point that it's not even booting windows anymore, i need to rest it for about a few hours then before i could use it for an hour or so.

already tried the sticks they are both working now thanks for that

ill post my cpuz and gpuz a little later-

here is my temps REAL TEMP is the CPU
-currently its not dying 2hrs now haha

-this is just dekstop stuff running
untitled1

Same problem with me buddy <solved it for now>
the problem is the gpu does not have contact with heat sink and heats too quicky
solution is to buy thermal "pads" not paste for gpu and put it on so it has contact with heat sink
problem is i leave in india there is no shop i can buy it
therfore comes my temproray solution
apply as thick paste you can on both gpu and heat sink so that it makes contact
it still will shutdown when u play games but atleast u can use for basic purpose
hope it helps

my laptop also ran cool until i overclocked it to 675/825 for gaming
my windows rating jumped from 4.9 to 6.8
prolonged gaming also took a toll on my lappie
it may have dried out the thermal paste the reason for overheating
and yes i thoroughly cleaned the fan taking it out completly of heat sink
technicality is not my problem
my problem is the avaibilty of thermal pads
guy please come to point and help me find thermal pad in india

And yes if anyone want to know how to overclock 550v/4650 i can help

Last edited:
Back