• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help required on cpu decision!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

count minaba

I'm thinking of buying 3.4E C0 or possibly E0 stepping cpu and running at 14x266 fsb wihich will put my OCZ at it's rated 533mhz ddr 1:1. That would be just a meagre overclock really with the 3.4 running at 3724mhz. The latest Abit Max3 bios v1.8 will allow thie choice of 17 or 14 mutiplier with these cpus. I would of course see if it can clock higher... maybe close in on 3.9 or even 4.0ghz if my ram can take it or drop ram back to 5:4.
Anyway, I wish to know if I'm on the right track here? Would I be more successful attempting this with a 3.2E C0 stepping chip which also delivers the 14x multiplier or is the 3.4 the way to go? I'm taking 478 pin only here.
What's your views guys? I'm a little bored with my 3.0C at 241mhz and need a new project. I consider it money well gambled

BTW, does anyone know how well the E0 stepping chips are overclocking? They may be too new at this stage! What's the difference to the C0 chips? :p

count minaba said:
I'm thinking of buying 3.4E C0 or possibly E0 stepping cpu and running at 14x266 fsb wihich will put my OCZ at it's rated 533mhz ddr 1:1. That would be just a meagre overclock really with the 3.4 running at 3724mhz. The latest Abit Max3 bios v1.8 will allow thie choice of 17 or 14 mutiplier with these cpus. I would of course see if it can clock higher... maybe close in on 3.9 or even 4.0ghz if my ram can take it or drop ram back to 5:4.
Anyway, I wish to know if I'm on the right track here? Would I be more successful attempting this with a 3.2E C0 stepping chip which also delivers the 14x multiplier or is the 3.4 the way to go? I'm taking 478 pin only here.
What's your views guys? I'm a little bored with my 3.0C at 241mhz and need a new project. I consider it money well gambled

BTW, does anyone know how well the E0 stepping chips are overclocking? They may be too new at this stage! What's the difference to the C0 chips? :p

You can use the 3.2E CO or EO stepping as well, they offer the 14 multi, and are cheaper. These chips quite easily hit 4.0 GHz, although you may have to mod yr mobo to get there.

woutertal said:
You can use the 3.2E CO or EO stepping as well, they offer the 14 multi, and are cheaper. These chips quite easily hit 4.0 GHz, although you may have to mod yr mobo to get there.
Thanks for your reply woutertal.
So if I go 14x at 266fsb do you think that this is in the realms of normal possibility for an E0 3.2E? That would put it at 3725mhz or about 16% OC'd.
I suppose I'm asking with the gear I have in my sig and all my case fans (i have 6 including a Vantec tornado blowing in from the side) along with my Zalman7000 ALCu... do you think I'll reach my stated goal OK?
BTW... if money doesn't matter, would you go the 3.4E instead?

count minaba said:
Thanks for your reply woutertal.
So if I go 14x at 266fsb do you think that this is in the realms of normal possibility for an E0 3.2E? That would put it at 3725mhz or about 16% OC'd.
I suppose I'm asking with the gear I have in my sig and all my case fans (i have 6 including a Vantec tornado blowing in from the side) along with my Zalman7000 ALCu... do you think I'll reach my stated goal OK?
BTW... if money doesn't matter, would you go the 3.4E instead?

16% in no prob at all for any of these chips IMHO. The 3.4E may not get you anything more for your money. S478 is limited by the Vcore pwrplant. The amount of energy needed to run these chips at the same freq is almost equal, although the 3.4E may have an edge. So yes, if money doesn't matter go for the 3.4E, otherwise 3.2E. Choose the right stepping. For the 3.2E if you need the 14 multi, buy CO or EO.

So checking the Intel cpu finder... these seem to be the choices for E0 stepping chips 478pin:

3.2E> SL7PN

3.4E> SL7PP (OEM only) and SL7KD ( OEM & BOX)

I suppose I'll go a retail boxed SL7KD then.
Being in Australia, we usually end up with Malaysian builds.

Back