• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Testing new PC Build CPU Temp prior to OS Install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

42YottabyteSim

Registered
This is my first time building my own desktop.

After you put together all the parts, how can you immediately test your CPU temp to make sure it doesn't overheat, before you have even installed the OS.

I've read about recommended programs like HWMonitor, but you need to have Windows already installed to use them.

My big concern is that if the thermal paste isn't applied correctly and while I spend 2 hours installing Windows, somehow my CPU overheats and destroys the mobo.

Does anyone here test the temps prior to installing the OS, if so, what do you use/how do you do it?

Last edited:
Your BIOS will show the temperature. ;)

CPUs will thermally throttle to prevent overheating. Once it hits a temperature above that, it will shutdown to protect itself. Don't worry...

Just check your temps in the BIOS and go! I would imagine bios temps, depending on ambient and cooler, will be around 22C-35C or so.

Back