• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP] Trying to OC Ripjaws V(Hynix) with Zen 2 + X570

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krusT

Greetings,

Ive recently bought a new Setup with

3700x

Asus prime x570-pro

G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz(2x8gb)[picture below]

But i cant get these lil babies near to the promised land of 3600mhz ( 3200mhz atm)

Any good soul can help me with this task?

P.S: its the same part number from this guy: but i cant get how to reproduce his steps at my PC

hv5oXtm.png

Tried to set some params at Ryzen calculator, but got no good with none of these.

3yxcubM.png

Let me know if any other data is needed and i'll provide!

Thanks in advance ppl!

What do you refer to when you say he is using "the same part number"? Certainly we know that he is using all different hardware than you with the possible exception of the motherboard which he does not say, at least that I can see.

It seems to me when I look at reviews that Asus AMD boards are pickier about the RAM than some other brands. MSI seems to not to be as picky as Asus. Having said that, do you have the latest bios installed?

What do you refer to when you say he is using "the same part number"? Certainly we know that he is using all different hardware than you with the possible exception of the motherboard which he does not say, at least that I can see.

It seems to me when I look at reviews that Asus AMD boards are pickier about the RAM than some other brands. MSI seems to not to be as picky as Asus. Having said that, do you have the latest bios installed?

The same DRAM component, even though the the DRAM module itself is from G.Skill; Since my research bring'd all "samsung B-die = superB / hynix and others = bad" that guy achieved somewhere else.

I've tried a few setups trying to put these DRAM modules further from 3200mhz, but im affraid i reached the top of my knowledge of this subject.

Any clue where i can try to squeeze better timings/frequences with this memorys? Or its a waste of time put some effort trying to OC beyond the 3200mhz at this setup of mine?!

Thanks!

P.S: Got the latest BIOS installed too
P.S2: I've tried to follow this steps here from a fellow member of reddit, but it was no good either:

Update bios to latest version, apply 18-22-22-38 primaries, RC=Auto, RTP=10, WTRL=12, WR=12, FAW=32, RRD=6/6, CKE=8, RFC=500, VDDR=1.45V and go for highest clock that your IF allows to. After that you can tighten timings (Will likely end up at 3800c16-20-20-34-54, RTP=8-10, WTRL=12, WR=12, FAW=20-32, RRD=5/5-6/6, CKE=6-8, RFC=480)

Last edited:
Personally, I think it's a waste of your time unless you are into competitive benching. The real world results will not be noticeable.

Another magical and BS settings in the mem calculator. Pretty much every thread with a request to help in memory settings has it nowadays. Somehow no one understands it's just a tool that had to be programmed based on some memory kits, and it doesn't work right on every possible memory kit.

Anyway, Hynix C depends on luck will make between 3600 and 3800 16-18-18, 16-19-19, 16-20-20 1.35-1.45V. Most these kits will make 3600 16-19-19 and 3800 16-20-20. I had one that could make 4400 18-22-22 but on Ryzen it's a bit worse than ~3600-3800. Sub timings can be tightened but won't help much. Focus on tRFC and maybe tFAW. Most other timings won't help in performance but will cause stability issues.
If you want to try 3800 then test it first at relaxed timings to be sure that the CPU can make it. Not every CPU can make more than 3600 with 1:1 IF div.

The difference in performance between Samsung and Hynix at 3600 CL16-x-x-x is like 0 to none. In the best case scenario it's 1% difference in benchmarks (out of synthetic bandwidth benchmarks). Good Samsung IC is only better because it can make tighter timings on some motherboards/IMC is not always fully stable.

Another magical and BS settings in the mem calculator. Pretty much every thread with a request to help in memory settings has it nowadays. Somehow no one understands it's just a tool that had to be programmed based on some memory kits, and it doesn't work right on every possible memory kit.

Anyway, Hynix C depends on luck will make between 3600 and 3800 16-18-18, 16-19-19, 16-20-20 1.35-1.45V. Most these kits will make 3600 16-19-19 and 3800 16-20-20. I had one that could make 4400 18-22-22 but on Ryzen it's a bit worse than ~3600-3800. Sub timings can be tightened but won't help much. Focus on tRFC and maybe tFAW. Most other timings won't help in performance but will cause stability issues.
If you want to try 3800 then test it first at relaxed timings to be sure that the CPU can make it. Not every CPU can make more than 3600 with 1:1 IF div.

The difference in performance between Samsung and Hynix at 3600 CL16-x-x-x is like 0 to none. In the best case scenario it's 1% difference in benchmarks (out of synthetic bandwidth benchmarks). Good Samsung IC is only better because it can make tighter timings on some motherboards/IMC is not always fully stable.

Thanks!
As soon i get home i will try these parameters and post here the results!!
----

Ive tried with these params, but as no good.
Am i doing anything wrong?:(

Last edited:
In the future please host your images directly so that they don't disappear on us.

It could be any number of things including bad luck on the part of the CPU or mobo or modules. What was your dram voltage? Woomack stated it could take up to 1.45v to get your modules to run CL16. If you're not comfortable with that try for CL18. I would at least try 1.4v though. I would try letting the board set secondary timings (so restore defaults, then only change the primary timings after).

In the future please host your images directly so that they don't disappear on us.

It could be any number of things including bad luck on the part of the CPU or mobo or modules. What was your dram voltage? Woomack stated it could take up to 1.45v to get your modules to run CL16. If you're not comfortable with that try for CL18. I would at least try 1.4v though. I would try letting the board set secondary timings (so restore defaults, then only change the primary timings after).

Oh sorry, im used to forums where ppl limit the image size, so i post'd to imgur to dont pollute the board.
-
Ive tried several DRAM voltages, till 1.38.

So, i just change the CAS latency to 18, let the mobo decide up to the other values, set the voltage to 1.4 and start trying?

I'll be back with the results !

Thanks !!

----

I back,

No good with the auto params at 1.4 and CL 18, the mobo beeps all the times and wont post.
Tried to get back to 3200 @ CL 16;
Maybe its a bad chip or something...

Last edited:
I was able to get to 3266 with 16-18-18-18 @ 1.40

So far is stable, with 3600 i couldnt get to work even with 20-20-20-20 @ 1.40. sad, maybe i just need to work around the timings at 3266, dunno..

Could be the CPU, memory sticks, or motherboard, or just an unhappy combination of the three. I would just set XMP (3200) and forget at this point. You tried and it didn't work out, you've put enough effort into numbers that mean 1% or less to your actual performance.

Unless you want to run some benchmarks at high voltage and then by all means, open the floodgates, :clap: but those voltages probably are not great for 24/7 use

Could be the CPU, memory sticks, or motherboard, or just an unhappy combination of the three. I would just set XMP (3200) and forget at this point. You tried and it didn't work out, you've put enough effort into numbers that mean 1% or less to your actual performance.

Unless you want to run some benchmarks at high voltage and then by all means, open the floodgates, :clap: but those voltages probably are not great for 24/7 use

Curiously @ 3200 the system was unstable, maybe was the voltage (1.37~36) but with 3266 @ 1.40v looks good.
Thanks for the help !!

Back