• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!!! Waterblock for

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kathyjudd

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a Radeon R9-280X and a waterblock. Right now I'm looking at MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127759

The coolingconfigurator has two listings for msi version. The first one says will fit EK-FC7970 CSQ waterblock. The second says they don't have a waterblock that will fit.

MSI R9 280X Gaming 3G Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 (V277-053R)
MSI R9 280X Gaming 3G Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 (V277-057R)

My knowledge is limited in this area. Can you confirm which waterblock will fit the MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G? If nothing will fit MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G version, I'm open to a gpu that has a waterblock.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a Radeon R9-280X and a waterblock. Right now I'm looking at MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127759

The coolingconfigurator has two listings for msi version. The first one says will fit EK-FC7970 CSQ waterblock. The second says they don't have a waterblock that will fit.

MSI R9 280X Gaming 3G Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 (V277-053R)
MSI R9 280X Gaming 3G Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 (V277-057R)

My knowledge is limited in this area. Can you confirm which waterblock will fit the MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G? If nothing will fit MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G version, I'm open to a gpu that has a waterblock.

Thanks in advance.

That is a non reference design, you probably will not find a full water block for it. That said you have two options that I can see. You can cool this card with a universal GPU block and blow air down on it with a fan for the ram and VRM or you can buy the same card in the non gaming config that is a reference design then you can use a full water block.

If you go with a full water block you can probably OC the card to the same levels as the "gaming" card.

Make sure you have an adequate cooling loop.

In the picture by newegg, they show a reference PCB on the card, so there is a good possibility that the full-cover block would work.

On the other hand, there's no reason to buy a card that has an aftermarket cooler and factory overclock, if you're going to watercool it. It is an unnecessary upcharge.

In the picture by newegg, they show a reference PCB on the card, so there is a good possibility that the full-cover block would work.

On the other hand, there's no reason to buy a card that has an aftermarket cooler and factory overclock, if you're going to watercool it. It is an unnecessary upcharge.

I stand corrected, I had looked at a different article and it was incorrect. That does appear to be a reference design.

I have heard of them, but I have never used one of their graphics cards, so I cannot attest to their quality.

That ASUS card does not come with a waterblock, and is severely overpriced.

I would go with the cheapest one, which looks like the PowerColor.

That's good point. I would like a full waterblock for best cooling.

I found these PowerColor and Royal3D. Coolingconfiguration has its a reference pcb. I've never heard of these guys. Would you guys recommend them?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131533

Which would you go with?

Go with the Powercolor. I am not sure how well build those are or how they OC but I am sure they should be fine. Theres a full block for that GPU on the EK site. Also here's a list of WBs for 280x GPUs.

Back