• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jebediah

Yes, a new thread :) And as usual, sorry for my lack of English
I'm not new to overclocking or cooling, but overall cooling it's something that i lack of interest.

First off, i have a 3770K CPU and need a new CPU cooler when i'm going overclocked.
My first choice was a Corsair H80i since i love theirs closed water cooling system, but then it hit me. First of, there's alot of reports of leaking from both Corsair and Arctic, and if i go with only air cooling, i will save some money.

So i found some interested reviews with Scythe Grand Kama Cross Rev. B, and when it's so cheap it gives the overtake.
I'm not a big fan of a huge aircooler that weight over 1kg. Then i goes with a closed watercooling system instead.

And how about the rest of the case? Wat is the best setup for my system? Especially for my CF setup with "Ghost" fans. The problem with the "Ghost" cooling is that i wont send the worm air out from the chassie, it's just circulating.

I'll attach a picture to show you how i mean and here's my rig.
Chassi: Fractal Design Define R2
CPU: Intel 3770K
GPU: 7970 CF "so it already lack of space"
MEM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast 2x8GB

img20130427200452.jpg

img201304272004522.jpg

img201304272004523.jpg

Any high end AIR is much better than AIO IMHO. I dont like AIO, they are junk.

The only AIO i now trust is the newer H220 from swiftech. Only the pump on this unit is ~4x more powerfull than the ****ty pump that come with all other AIO.

An H80I is no better temp wise than big air. Some use it because it looks better to them and if they have silly tall ram the HXX is better.

And yes, the H220 is the only one I would get. They are releasing a H320 also.

Yes, agreed.
But AIO is smalles and takes less place, but more expensive.
As i said before, i'm not willing to hand up a 1kg air cooler on my motherboard, and i'm not sure if it fit with my future plans.
So it have to be a smaller air cooler then, but wich one?
And how about the rest of the case?

AIO dont take less space, they move the space occupied near the CPU to a fan slot on the case.

Last edited:
Yes, agreed.
But AIO is smalles and takes less place, but more expensive.
As i said before, i'm not willing to hand up a 1kg air cooler on my motherboard, and i'm not sure if it fit with my future plans.
So it have to be a smaller air cooler then, but wich one?
And how about the rest of the case?

People put heavy TOP cooling heatsinks on for a long time. I have never heard of ONE ONE issue of them messing things up.

AIO is bigger. Just fits differently.

Get a Hyper 212, if you have stock now, you will be amazed. We recommend it ALL the time. It's a great cooler for the money.

Your welcome to use Google and look up cooler reviews yourself also, do NOT use buy sites for info and reviews they are junk. Find quality places to help you.

http://www.overclock.net/t/724577/the-well-dressed-megahalems-65-fans-and-112-setups-56k-warning

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/core-i7-coolers-roundup_18.html

I gave you a few DAYS of reading. have fun. These are older ones I bookmarked. There are a billion more. Take responsibility to learn.:thup:

Yes i've heard alot of the 212 Evo and it seems to be a greats choice.
One thing that i don't understand though. Does it come with 4 brackets so i can run push and pull with it?

FYI. A H50 took my i7-930 @ 1.385V to 4.2GHz with normal temperature so i just love them closed water cooling system :)

Umm have you even looked up the reviews on the web? Heck I think on our front page we reviewed it too?

Or do I need to install it also for you?

Use your Internets and learn.......... Or our search function here. In the last year it's been mentioned, discussed, reviewed hundreds of times.

Thanks!
Don't know which one i should listen to. I googled it and some says that the 212 Evo comes with 4 brackets so you can mount 2 fans. Thermalright True Spirit 120 doesn't so you have to buy 2 extra fan pins which i can't find up here in North.

That's why i hate to google info. No one has the correct info.

The problem is that my RAM is way to big for some coolers, so is there any other options except 212 EVO? A Scythe Grand Kama Cross Rev B will fit and it's almost the same price

Yeah i've stumble upon that review earlier. Another review "can't find it atm" says the Scythe is the better one :)

The good thing about the Scythe is that it cool surrounding component as well.

But since it so cheap it doesn't matter. If i'm not satisfied i just buy a new one.

Back