• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Corrupt files when copying them

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

A friend of mine said he started getting corrupt files when copying them from one directory to another. Example, he copied a folder with 500 pictures to another folder and he said that some get corrupt in the process and confirms the original is fine. I am thinking its either a hard drive problem or bad RAM. What do you think can cause this behavior? Thanks

There could be a couple points of failure: the hard drive itself, system instability (CPU or RAM), bad cables, etc. Check the SMART data on the hard drive first, to see if it is reporting any issues. Swap out to another SATA cable. Drop the system to stock settings and try again.

Download and run CrystaldiskInfo to check hard drive health.

Run Memtest86+ to check the RAM. Run it for several passes if you possibly can. It's designed to run from a bootable CD/DVD disc or a flash drive. The author's website explains how to do all that I believe.

Also, from an elevated command prompt, run these two scans:

chkdsk /f /r

sfc /scannow

Both scans can take quite a while to complete. The first one checks for and attempts to repair bad data clusters while moving them to healthy places on the hard disk platter. The second command checks for and attempts to repair broken Windows system files.

Thanks guys, I am going to check his computer this week. Now that I think of it, we added 16GB (2x8GB) more to make it 32GB (8GBx4) which I think the problems started since then. Might be a bad pair or I think might need a little boost in RAM Voltage to accommodate all 4 sticks.

G.Skill Sipper Gaming Series DDR3 1600

Back