• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with frame rates please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crossed_wires

I've been tinkering with my new computer and trying to get the best performance and this weekend, I decided to download 3dMark'05 and put it to the test. I just used the free version and default settings (1024x768 I think), but the frame rates weren't all that good. Some of the lower resolution tests were getting 20s and 30s FPS, but the higher res tests were only getting 2-4 sometimes. The overall score(and I did the test 3 times) was usually around 3700. I see other folks on this site with their posted 3dmark05 scores that have almost 2x that score, with the same processor and similar video card. I know it should be scoring better than this! That's why I'm so frustrated. Here's what I have --- hopefully you have an idea, as I'm running out of ideas.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
2 MB DDR(400MHz)
PCI-e16 Geforce 7600GS 256MB DDR2
Antec SmartPower 500w psu

This was a Gateway GT5082 model --> http://www.mysimon.com/Gateway_GT5082_Desktop_PC/4014-3118_8-31975693.html?showspecs=1 <-- that I just stuck a new sound card, video card and psu on. Everything else is stock and I have not overclocked anything, except the video card from 400MHz ---> 425MHz on a couple of the tests, but it didn't seem to make a difference. What gives? Thanks.
-Ryan

Last edited:
What do you have your GS clocked at? I get right around 5000 on my P4 machine with the same card. Spec and clock speeds in sig.

I O/C'd it up to about 425 MHz for a couple tests and even got it as high as 470 MHz, but got some graininess. The highest I could O/C it and still get good picture quality was around 460. Although, the temp of the card went from ~47C to about 54C, so I turned it down a tad.
Would there be that big of a difference between the 7600GS and 7600GT to where the GT 3dmark score would be almost 2x that of the GS? I didn't think that a 400MHz core, compared to a 500MHz core would be that drastic of a difference. If it is, that's what I get for being cheap. I bought it for $109 ($89 after a $20 MIB), because I didn't want to spend $150-$160 for the 7600GT. Should I have gone with that? Or is there a 7800 or 7900 model for a decent price that would be a lot better?

Last edited:
The 7900GT would be much better if you could find one cheap. I have seen them as low as ~220 after MIR. Also, look around for used ones.

The 7600GT is the same as a 7600GS with faster clocks. So if you can overclock to 7600GT speeds (560/700) You'll have a 7600GT. I definitely wouldn't upgrade from a 7600GS to a GT ... If you want to upgrade look into a faster card.

What can you afford to spend on a card (including what you would get from returning your card)

stock 7600gs about 4020 in 3dmark 05
stock 7600gt about 6500 in 3dmark 05

so yeah theres that much of a diff. i might be wrong but dont the 7600gs use ddr2 whare the 7600gt uses ddr3?

Is your GS passive cooling, or does it have a Fan?

Mine came stock with a fan, and OC'ed like I have it, it runs pretty hot .. about 70C or so.

If it is passive cooling, maybe add a fan and see if you can get more out of your OC?

fireandice said:
stock 7600gs about 4020 in 3dmark 05
stock 7600gt about 6500 in 3dmark 05

so yeah theres that much of a diff. i might be wrong but dont the 7600gs use ddr2 whare the 7600gt uses ddr3?

ahh yes, you're right, 7600gs=gddr2, 7600GT=gddr3

P.S. if you can improve your cooling you can really OC that thing, there are volt mods for the 7600GS where people have got 720+ core clocks. I just didnt want to invest in better cooling on mine considering it is my #2 machine, and a good Zalman is about 1/3 of the card cost.

Mine has a pretty large heatsink & fan on it (Biostar), plus I added a case fan over the weekend which blows heat out of the back of the case. Now, I have my old video card(Geforce FX5500) and this one(Geforce 7600GS) that I may just sell on ebay...I'm not sure I want to try returning it, or if newegg would even take it, since it's used. I may just sell them both on ebay.
The most that I would probably want to spend would be $200 or so, minus whatever I get for those two cards.

*edit* how did you get yours overclocked to 550? ie, what program, etc. I couldn't get it up close to 500 without "snow".

I would say that for $90 those scores really aren't that bad. You should be able to play most, if not all games at med settings at 1280x1024. You should save your money and wait for some good DX10 cards to come around. But if don't want to wait, this 7900GT was $230.00 after MIR from EVGA and worth every penny. I would definitely recommend one, especially if you're willing to do the volt mod. But even without the Vmod, it's still an awesome card. It OCed to around 575 Mhz from the stock 500 Mhz before the vmod and IIRC around 9k in 3dmark05.

crossed_wires said:
*edit* how did you get yours overclocked to 550? ie, what program, etc. I couldn't get it up close to 500 without "snow".

Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw, I did no Volt Modding to my GS, though I have considered it. Only thing I can think of is maybe there is more voltage on mine from the factory since it is not a passive colling model, though I doubt that is the case.

This the the card I have;

http://www.3dfuzion.com/cards_7600GS_pcie_256.asp

crossed_wires said:
Mine has a pretty large heatsink & fan on it (Biostar), plus I added a case fan over the weekend which blows heat out of the back of the case. Now, I have my old video card(Geforce FX5500) and this one(Geforce 7600GS) that I may just sell on ebay...I'm not sure I want to try returning it, or if newegg would even take it, since it's used. I may just sell them both on ebay.
The most that I would probably want to spend would be $200 or so, minus whatever I get for those two cards.

newegg will accept a return on it if it's within like 30 or 45 days of purchase. They will charge you a restocking fee...but that is probably going to be less than the depreciated selling price you will get on ebay (plue ebay and paypal fees)

so return it if you can, call newegg and ask them...they are very good about that stuff.

well, I'd have to get a new mb if I wanted to do any vmodding, at least I think. All the voltage settings in the BIOS are locked as this was a Gateway pre-boxed computer, originally. Even still, I can run Oblivion very smoothly on medium settings and just a little choppy with everything maxed out. I'd like to try out BF2, so maybe after I part out my old computer, I'll see if I feel like investing in a new card or just sucking it up and waiting it out. The 7900 GTX looks pretty badass, but I can't commit myself to spending that much on a card when this current one is the most I've ever spent. lol. Thanks for the replies!

crossed_wires said:
well, I'd have to get a new mb if I wanted to do any vmodding, at least I think. All the voltage settings in the BIOS are locked as this was a Gateway pre-boxed computer, originally. Even still, I can run Oblivion very smoothly on medium settings and just a little choppy with everything maxed out. I'd like to try out BF2, so maybe after I part out my old computer, I'll see if I feel like investing in a new card or just sucking it up and waiting it out. The 7900 GTX looks pretty badass, but I can't commit myself to spending that much on a card when this current one is the most I've ever spent. lol. Thanks for the replies!

With a volt mod, you aren't sucking too much more power, I'd think your current setup would be ok.

Well, you guys are right. I just O/C'd the card up to 449 MHz and ran 3dmark05 again and scored a 4434. I guess I just thought it would be a little faster. I kinda wish I had just bought the 7600GT instead, but I can live with this for now. Actually, with the 8 series nvidia cards coming out soon, I bet there will be a drop in prices of the older-gen cards. Maybe the 7900GTX will drop to $200! Not.

Edit: I O/'d it up to 470 and was getting a little bit of snow/flicker kind of thing, but its works fine at 460 and temp is stable at 53, so not too bad. Score at 460 mhz was 4531.

Last edited:
Back