• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with gaming build for $500-$700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP, are you going to be playing very intense GPU oriented games (i.e., BF3, BO2 [even though it's not very GPU dependent])? If not then I would get a 7870.

If I was doing the build, I would get a MOBO that I could use for when I upgrade to the next big thing. If you think you want to go that route then I would go for a 990 board for AMD or a 1155 board for intel. These two board socket types will be used with the newer CPU when they are released.

Last edited:
Here's the componets that I would buy. Notice that I did not include Windows in the cart. That's because you can use the free $15 gift card towards buying the OS.

Attachments

• Shopping Cart.png
    Shopping Cart.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 57
If you think you want to go that route then I would go for a 990 board for AMD or a 1155 board for intel. These two board socket types will be used with the newer CPU when they are released.

1155 is dead, no new CPUs. And the only thing left on 2011 is hexacore versions of the current CPUs (gamers don't care). There isn't an upgrade route for Intel.

MIRs bring this under $800, better GPU than above.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
If you want best bang for buck get a processor from amd fx series. You'll have the opportunity to save money on a mobo that is better price - performance than the z77 and the cpu as well.
By that I mean one of the better boards out there on the 990 chipset for amd is $150 and the low end z77 chipset is $140.

I would like to thank you all for the help. The last build posted is what I bought early today at Micro Center. Different brand of GPU and Memory but all the same. Installing Windows 8 as I type this. All seems to be working well.

Again, Thank You
GTR135

AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
3570K CPU
Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3 GPU
Hyper 212 EVO Cooler
Windows 8
Corsair Vengence Ram 2x4GB (I forgot to buy ram at Micro Center and this is all he local store had)

Although I did not want to originally, I played around with some OC'ing. CPU is stable at 4.6Ghz (Prime95~3hrs & Intelburn~2 ) and runs under 85C with just a multiplier change, but will crash out of GPU tests or Skyrim during screen changes.

I am now at 4.2Ghz with just multiplier change and the GPU OC'ed to 1125 Core 1500 Memory. Has been stable in Skyrim for ~4 hours game time.

This weekend I may try and take the OC off the GPU and go back to 4.5-4.6Ghz on auto and see if it remains stable in games, then bump the GPU up until failure. Just not sure if the time spent in testing will really matter in the end.

I really do not know enough about OC'ing to take advantage of voltage offset.

I would like to thank everyone for the suggestions.

GTR135

(edit Changed a temp - my notes said 85 not 80)

Well you should try and drop around 75C when you test, so perhaps 4.4 or 4.5 will be sufficient OC. Don't forget that stock speed for that CPU is already quite enough to chew through many things fast. What Vcore were you getting at 4.6, and are you sure you tested lower voltages to see if it was stable, too?

OC'ing with offset isn't that difficult. Leave IEST on, use a medium Load Line Calibration (25%), set offset to +0.005 with a 45x multiplier, and test. Then you work your way up or down offset from there. Also, if you have to use more and more offset, try lowering it instead and switch Load Line Calibration to High (50%). Load Line will allow for more voltage under load, while keeping it pretty much as it is (counting offset voltage which will affect both idle and load voltage) running idle. You use more Load Line Calibration when you realize you have to run a "high" voltage at idle just to get it stable under load (like offset +0.050 or more).

They are a couple other settings you could have to use going to higher OC, but usually 4.5 will pretty much run by itself with minimal offset (- or + 0.005) and minimal LLC (25%), and will do so somewhere close to stock Vcore. 4.5 is an easy and highly satisfying OC.

Read this to know more...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/...-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

Mod-R
Max voltage was a bit over 1.28 at 4.6GHz and my Video card was OC'ed to 1190 core 1555 memory. It ran Prime95 and Intelburn with no issues. It just would crash or lock up out of Heaven, 3DMark11 and Skyrim mainly where there was a screen change. I did try a +.005v offset at 4.6Ghz and it passed the CPU tests but not the video.

Did then same on Auto at 4.5 and 4.4. It passes Heaven and 3Dmark11 at 4.3 but crashed after about 45mins of Skyrim.

So now Im at 4.2GHz and I backed the GPU off a bit. Seems to me the GPU doesnt like the CPU at 4.3+ for some reason. But as I have stated I know very little about such things.

I will try some of the settings you suggested.

GTR135

I don't quite understand the temps you're getting with just 1.28 Vcore.

Usually you start with OC'ing the CPU, test it stable, and then you mess with your GPU if you deem it necessary after playing your favorite games. If the CPU is stable in Prime and IBT, then there's no other reason for the game to fail than the GPU OC.

Mod-R,
Yea, what I did was backwards. I have reset my GPU and will just work on CPU OC stability. Once I figure that out I will start to bump up the GPU. I am following the guild you linked, we will see how it goes.

GTR135

Some data for the build.

After considerable testing:

GPU set back to stock settings
CPU LLC setting at 3
4.4Ghz- offset +.025 1.28Vmax Stable in Prime95 and IBT (No GPU Tests)

CPU LLC setting at 3
4.5Ghz-offset +.065 1.296Vmax FAILED in Prime95 and IBT (No GPU Test)

CPU LLC Setting at 2
4.5Ghz-offest +.050 1.304Vmax Stable in Prime95 and IBT (No GPU Test)
4.5Ghz-offest +.070 1.320Vmax Stable in Prime95,IBT,3dMark11,Heaven

Seems stable now but temps are kinda high. 88C in IMB.

Working on OC'ing the GPU again. 1150Clock and 1525Memory and stable atm. Only crash I have had is Skyrim when I mashed hotkey for the inventory. I think this one in mod related.

Anyways, I think I am done with it now. Will play some games the next couple days and see how it holds up.

GTR135

Back