• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with gaming build for $500-$700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some data for the build.

After considerable testing:

GPU set back to stock settings
CPU LLC setting at 3
4.4Ghz- offset +.025 1.28Vmax Stable in Prime95 and IBT (No GPU Tests)

CPU LLC setting at 3
4.5Ghz-offset +.065 1.296Vmax FAILED in Prime95 and IBT (No GPU Test)

CPU LLC Setting at 2
4.5Ghz-offest +.050 1.304Vmax Stable in Prime95 and IBT (No GPU Test)
4.5Ghz-offest +.070 1.320Vmax Stable in Prime95,IBT,3dMark11,Heaven

Seems stable now but temps are kinda high. 88C in IMB.

Working on OC'ing the GPU again. 1150Clock and 1525Memory and stable atm. Only crash I have had is Skyrim when I mashed hotkey for the inventory. I think this one in mod related.

Anyways, I think I am done with it now. Will play some games the next couple days and see how it holds up.

GTR135

Yep, nothing like real world testing, but make sure you don't care losing your progression in games atm - in case something creeps back up on you between two saves... keep an eye on your temps while gaming and post back here. Just keep your monitoring software running, and reset high/low temps, so that once you're done gaming you can see what level you reached.

Well, real world testing the GPU and CPU do not get along at 4.5Ghz. Had crashes at the factory GPU clocks. Really not sure what is going on here. Is it normal for the CPU to require more power (in my case a lot more) to pass graphical testing?

I am now at 4.4Ghz at 1.288v with the GPU at 1100 Core 1500 Memory. Been stable so far but I only have a couple hours testing on games.

Been an interesting testing session.

GTR135

Before going crazy with software testing, did you make sure of the hardware? Is the GPU sitting properly in the slot, with the locking mechanism in locked position? Also, check for the power cable, make sure the connection is all the way in.

If it is all okay, then post your problem in the GPU forum.

Well I have figured out one issue which may let me go back to at least 4.5Ghz. I was using AMD Catalyst program for the OC'ing and it was not keeping the voltage steady for the GPU. GPU usage would jump from 66 to 99 during stress testing. I DL'ed MSI Afterburner, set the voltage to 1.25 constant and everything has been stable since. GPU Oc'ed to 1150Core 1525Mem and is stable in all stress test and games for last ~8hours.

I am tempted to go back to my lowest voltage 4.5Ghz stable settings.

This has been an experience.

GTR135

Edit:
(4.5 not 4.6)

Nice job there!

You should definitely retry with the lowest stable voltage.

Way to go! :)

Back