• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Gateway FX6800-01e Core i7 Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bumblebee2na

I was given a Gateway FX6800-01e Core i7 Motherboard along with some other parts. I just wanted to know if this motherboard would be compatible with at least RAM with a speed of 1600 MHz. Can it support higher speeds?
Thanks in advance

I was given a Gateway FX6800-01e Core i7 Motherboard along with some other parts. I just wanted to know if this motherboard would be compatible with at least RAM with a speed of 1600 MHz. Can it support higher speeds?
Thanks in advance

TBGM01.jpg

It actually looks like a decent board. Uses standard ATX and CPU power. Do you already have the CPU? If you don't already have a CPU for this board you are better off buying yourself a new current generation board and CPU. This board you have here is 2008 technology. 6 years old.

You can use (I would assume) an i7 from 920-965. Not sure if it would support 970,980X, etc 6 cores.

Again, if you dont already have the CPU, don't bother.

You can use any triple channel memory kit. 6GB is enough for an average gaming machine (3X2GB). Make sure you use 3 identical sticks of RAM.

TBGM01.jpg

It actually looks like a decent board. Uses standard ATX and CPU power. Do you already have the CPU? If you don't already have a CPU for this board you are better off buying yourself a new current generation board and CPU. This board you have here is 2008 technology. 6 years old.

You can use (I would assume) an i7 from 920-965. Not sure if it would support 970,980X, etc 6 cores.

Again, if you dont already have the CPU, don't bother.

You can use any triple channel memory kit. 6GB is enough for an average gaming machine (3X2GB). Make sure you use 3 identical sticks of RAM.

Thanks for the info, but I will still be buying a CPU, I found a cheap i7 950, but can this motherboard support for example 2 x 4gb 1600 MHz RAM

I don't want to spend too much money, I have $460 to spend on RAM, CPU, OS, HDD, PSU, and monitor. Any recommendations? You already know my motherboard but I have a nice case and I have a GeForce GT 9800 GPU, I'm planning on upgrading it in the future.

I don't want to spend too much money, I have $460 to spend on RAM, CPU, OS, HDD, PSU, and monitor. Any recommendations? You already know my motherboard but I have a nice case and I have a GeForce GT 9800 GPU, I'm planning on upgrading it in the future.

Like I said, you want a triple channel memory kit for this motherboard. You can run dual channel on it but you'll not get the full memory performance the system is capable of. 3X2GB should be cheaper or at par with 2x4GB anyways.

HDD: $60
PSU: $50
RAM: $70
(really bad TN)monitor:$130
_________
$410

Did you track that CPU down for $50? If you did that's fantastic, but if not, I don't see this endeavor coming in under budget for you honestly. :-/

What kind of case are you putting this system in just out of curiosity?

Back