• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with my gigabyte 7n400 pro2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Crash893,
I see hood is away at the moment,
Set your dip switches for multi of 11, then go into cmos, and set fsb to 166 or 200.

Alternatively you can set multi to 11 and enter cmos and load optimized defaults.

well round 2 then thanks 3sixes

ill let you guys know around 0300 if it works ( when i get home from work)

i think ill set it to 11 for right now

just out of curosity

11x gives you about 1800mhz what would 11.5 give me

and what would 18x give me im trying to gigure out the ratio of XXx to mhz

It would depend on what your FSB is set to, eg 11x166=1826, 11x 200=2200, 18x166=2998 etc etc etc.
Hood

BTW what size/brand isthe PSU and do you have the 4 pin power plug in?

the brand escapes me at the moment but its a 500w i got at compusa

and yes it has the p4 connector and its installed ( i dont think it will even boot with out it)

what exactly does the multiplyer do btw.

okay more problems

when ever i switch the clk_sw to the on or auto postion i dont get any post at all ( i do get fans spining and hdd spinning ) but thats it

no beeps

i set the clk_ratio to the 11x setting and it doesnt seem to be doing anything however if the clk_sw is off and the clk_ratio is to 11x it will boot but only to 1094mhz

anyideas

Crash893,
Ok, the only two things I can think of are:
Unless you purchased a nationally recognized brand name psu at compu usa, we need to know the brand and what the specs are from the lable on the psu, re: 12v,5v,and 3v outputs??

Have you tried with say only 1 or 2 sticks of ram?
And have you ran memtest on your ram, even at the underclocked speeds you are able to attain now?

generic psu

i did multi metter it under load ( 3 hdd's 2 cdroms) and it didnt dip below the 3% on any of the voltages i tested

ive been running prime95 tourture test with a high fft lenght to stress the memory for about 5 days now with out single error

here my modded bios:

Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro2 Ultra

Bios Version: F5

- Unhidden CPU Internal Cache
- Unhidden CPU External Cache
- Unhidden Quick Power On Self Test
- Unhidden Boot Others Device
- Unhidden System Bios Cacheable
- Unhidden Video Ram Cachable
- Unhidden ACPI Function
- Unhidden FSB Spread Spectrum
- Unhidden AGP Spread Spectrum
- Unhidden AGP 8 Support
- Add Vdimm : +0.3V option

tested safe : check it here:

i'm modding bios F6beta right now.... wish me lucktested

Last edited:
well i had some wisdom bestoed apon me at amdmb.com

apprently if its set in turbo it wont boot with auto clk_sw

I am having the same problems. If I turn on the CLK_SW to "ON", everything powers up, but it won't beep or give me video output.

I an running the7N400 Pro 2 with a AMD Athlon XP 2600+ "Barton", 333MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM.

I am not one to overclock or differ from 'all' default settings, but when my processor speed shows up at 1.14Ghz and I know it is suppose to be fast, I need help.

What in the BIOS can I change and what can I do with the CLK_RATIO dip switches to up this guys speed?

-mewmew

Have you had a look to make sure you dont have the Turbo option set like crash's was.
Have you cleared the CMOS?
What are your temps when runni9ng 100MHz FSB?
Hood

I don't know if Turbo is enabled or not? I usually don't mess with setting, cause I don't know that much and don't want to burn something up.

I read the thread at amdmb.com concerning this issue with Crash. I will go into the Bios and look for the "turbo" option - BTY, where do I need to look?

Yes, I think I cleared the CMOS when I removed the system board's battery - nothing different.

Below is a capture from EasyTuner?

P.S. If I want to tweak this a little and up the clock speed, do I am adjustments in the Bios and/or with the CLK_RATIO dip switches? What should I try without messing something up?

Hood-thanks for your responce.

-mewmew

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 33
OK first thing is your CPU looks kind of hot for just running 1100MHz, check your HSF is on correctly and that you have the thermal paste applied correctly.
When you removed the battery did you switch off the power to the PSU, either at the wall or on the back of the PSU if it has a switch? Then you need to press your on button to discharge the mobo and PSUs capacitors, remove the battery for a few mins then you should be good to go.
Turbo is probably on the Advanced Chipset Feature page.

Now you dont want to mess with the Clk switch, auto is what you want and thats it. The multis can be adjusted if you have an unlocked CPU but best wait until you get up and running at stock before thinking of OCing.
Hood

Also just noticed your CPU is running 1.72v, think its an issue with some BIOS versions so might be worth flashing to a different version.
Hood

I checked the Advanced Chipset and it was set to Normal and not Turbo. However, it was set to 200FSB. I saw someone post on amdmb.com that it should be at 166. I made the change and have the CLK_SW set to ON/AUTO. I am clocking 1913.18MHz.

Now I open up EasyTuner and saw my temps at 56/57C. This is hotter then before. This board is a 7N400 PRO2 F5. I'll go look for a Bios update.

What do you think of Artic Silver 5? The AeroCool Goldern Crown came with its own compound, so I used it. Maybe I should add some more.

<You all have been great help>

-mewmew

OK thats good that you are running stock.
AS5 is supposed to be good but I havent tried so cant say for sure.
Too much compound can be as bad as not enough so be carefull, you should only have a thin layer so as to fillin all the microscopic holes in the CPU and HS.

You will find F6 Beta from Gigabyte HERE dont know if it will help but first make sure your voltage isnt set to +5% in the BIOS.

Hood

Again thanks for all your help.

The bios voltage is set to "normal", but it is still listing as 1.71V -1.72v in EasyTuner. The temp is still up there (57C). I will try a little more compound tonight.

Thanks!

-mewmew

Back