• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with OCing my MSI KD7 master L?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My cpu is hard coded for 13.5 X
As far as pulling the compy out of the desk again and messing with the mobo...I'm not sure about tonight. I still have that sniffling sneezing coughing aching stuffed up head thing going on.
And I've been jacking with the compy innerds for the last 3 days.
That and my mom :rolleyes: is coming over because she needs help filling out her first tax return :eek:
This is particularly sad because she's in her later side of 50's. I guess the fact I've been doing my own taxes since '86 and have won 3 outta 4 IRS audits makes me something of an expert to her. ;)
I'll check back after I help her with the return and take some meds...Maybe i'll be up to it then :dunno:

BTW...Does any fuzzy logic stuff work on these mobo's? Could I experiment with OC realtime in windows?

Fuzzy Logic 4 works, I believe, but I have heard mixed results with it. Version 5 doesn't work, at all, from what I've heard.

I know what you mean about messing with computer innards. I spent all day today, messing with this system. I just put it back together (with it's usual dual XP1800 T-breds) and I'm not messing with it any more.

My system at home, on the other hand, will see a little experimentation tonight (very little.)

Mom gets 767 back from IRS :cool:
I'm still feeling like a bag of hammered dog farts so i'm going to nyquil up and beg the wife for a massage in front of the computer ;)

Fuzzy Logic 4 didn't work for crap so oh well.

Well, I got home and tried it on my K7D Master -L with BIOS 1.6.

It works and it doesn't work.

With the 100 FSB jumper on, it works exactly like the other system. 7X is 15X and so on. Once I put the FSB jumper on 133, with 7X (15X) set, the system won't boot. It won't boot with ANY multi other than auto, when the FSB jumper is on 133.

My CPU's are modded XP2100's that run 1950 MHz @ 1.625 Vcore, rock solid. I set the Vcore for 1.75, multi at 7X (15X) and FSB at 133. This would theoretically yield 2 GHz, which should be no sweat for these CPU's, but it didn't work.

I guess it has to do with the FSB jumper... bummer.

Oh, well. I figured out something that is consistent. It just isn't as useful as I had hoped, since it doesn't seem to work at 133 or higher FSB.

Did you try the multipliers as they work for me at 133fsb? 9.5x = 13.5, 10x = 14. Go straight for these with the jumper set at 133.

spldart said:
Did you try the multipliers as they work for me at 133fsb? 9.5x = 13.5, 10x = 14. Go straight for these with the jumper set at 133.

Yeah, I tried those, but they didn't work for me.

some said - msi k7d been tough to work with tbred core 2400+ and up. It has to do something with its voltage regulator--it fluctuates a hell darn lot.:mad:

That would explain my maxing out at a bit over 2 ghz. Still, it's a respectable OC for a 1700. Esp. in a dually.

Oddly, I'm doing the exact same setup you guys are talking
about, but with an ASUS A7M266-D rev 1.03 (unfortunatly).

I've managed to get the system to post and windows to start
up at 166X11 (matched pair of XP 1700+ 0302), but the hard
drive corrupts.

I've spent 2-4 hours a night for two weeks working on hitting
166FSB. But I don't think it's possible with this system board.

I do hope that someone comes up with better Dual AMD
boards sometime...but I've stopped holding my breath.

One thing to try i when you set your pci/ATA bus so out of spec try to manually set your ATA setting toi a slower rate: if your run ATA133 then try ATA100, if ATA100 then try ATA66, this will slow down the PCI/ATA bus to the hard drives and force a ATA133 drive to run at ATA100 and by doing this it helps the drive to stay more in synch, The only problem with this is that your other PCI devices such as sound or nic cards will not be helped any but most of the time they can take the PCI overclock, In bios the way to set the ATA speed is to set the PIO from auto to PIO-4=ATA133, pio-3=ATA100, pio-2=ATA66, and pio-1=ATA33 and pio-0 is somethind else I'm not sure but sometimes by manually setting this in the bios will slow down the data transfer to the drive that is capable of running faster and will help the drive to keep up and not get errors when booting into windows this will sometimes help to achieve a higher FSB without corruption, its an old overclockers trick before when all there werewas kt266a's and kt133 chipsets and would help to get a higher fsb without the higher mults and help avoid corruption...

Wow, holy ****nit bo bam didily~! Cant beleive I missed this thread!

Ok, let me see if I get this right here. First, I have dual 21's in same board, presently running bios 1.5. Now, if I hardcode the multis to be set at 13x, 13.5x or 14x, I should be able to use the bios multiplyer adjustments and add 8? Right? Is that what Im gathering from all this? Please tell me that is what youve basiclly said!! LoL

If so I was planning on doing the coding for a 13.5 multi soon just to see if I could break that 2gig each barrier Im facing. Now, If I could do that and maybe even get a lil higher, I am so there! LoL

It might be a few days before I can actually try this, but I will!

Hmm.... ;)

CMC gets a bump of 8 multipliers. When I discovered this quirk I found I get a bump of 3.5 multipliers. :dunno:

pctuner@amd said:
One thing to try i when you set your pci/ATA bus so out of spec try to manually set your ATA setting toi a slower rate: if your run ATA133 then try ATA100, if ATA100 then try ATA66, this will slow down the PCI/ATA bus to the hard drives and force a ATA133 drive to run at ATA100 and by doing this it helps the drive to stay more in synch, The only problem with this is that your other PCI devices such as sound or nic cards will not be helped any but most of the time they can take the PCI overclock, In bios the way to set the ATA speed is to set the PIO from auto to PIO-4=ATA133, pio-3=ATA100, pio-2=ATA66, and pio-1=ATA33 and pio-0 is somethind else I'm not sure but sometimes by manually setting this in the bios will slow down the data transfer to the drive that is capable of running faster and will help the drive to keep up and not get errors when booting into windows this will sometimes help to achieve a higher FSB without corruption, its an old overclockers trick before when all there werewas kt266a's and kt133 chipsets and would help to get a higher fsb without the higher mults and help avoid corruption...

This is very helpful... Thanks a ton :D

IFMU said:

Ok, let me see if I get this right here. First, I have dual 21's in same board, presently running bios 1.5. Now, if I hardcode the multis to be set at 13x, 13.5x or 14x, I should be able to use the bios multiplyer adjustments and add 8? Right? Is that what Im gathering from all this? Please tell me that is what youve basiclly said!! LoL

If so I was planning on doing the coding for a 13.5 multi soon just to see if I could break that 2gig each barrier Im facing. Now, If I could do that and maybe even get a lil higher, I am so there! LoL

Hmm.... ;)

Wow...Just noticed your from wichita Ks. I lived there for 10 years from 90 to 00. Near the intersection of Seneca and Pawnee. Where you at?

I may be moving back there for a job opportunity.

IFMU said:

Hmm.... ;)

Whoa! Hold on. What you need to know is that I could get this to work, reliable (with modded 1700's and unmodded 2100's,) but ONLY when the FSB jumper was set to 100. When I tried it with the FSB jumper at 133, I could never get the system to POST.

I did this on one MSI K7D Master and MSI K7D Master -L. Both exhibited the same behavior.

If you wanna have a crack at it, be my guest. Maybe you can figure out something I missed, but you might just have a heck of a time, trying to get it to POST for ya. Fortunately, if the system fails to POST once, then the next time you turn it on, it usually defaults to Auto multiplier and boots up. It won't set the multi to Auto in the BIOS, but it will boot up and let you go into the BIOS. Sometimes, however, it still won't boot and you can try the "Insert" trick, or you may have to reset the BIOS jumper.

I tried BIOS 1.5 and 1.6. Both worked the same. In my case, I would have to use a +8 formula, so if I had a CPU hard coded for any multiplier over 13, then I could set the multi to 5.5 in the BIOS and come out with 13.5, etc. See my table I listed before and take note that some multipliers don't work at all.

Good luck. Hope someone can find something I missed and get this to work at 133+ FSB.

I think it's just random if it works or not because i never came out of 133 during all of this. I don't know what mine would do if I set it for 100.

I have to wonder whether it is random, or not, because I got it to do the same exact thing on two different motherboards.

It may have something to do with other factors, though. Perhaps things we haven't thought of?

spldart said:
Wow...Just noticed your from wichita Ks. I lived there for 10 years from 90 to 00. Near the intersection of Seneca and Pawnee. Where you at?

I may be moving back there for a job opportunity.

Wichita?! Job opportunities?! Bad plan man, this flippin city is a black hole that sucks the life out of everything, you got out, stay away by all that is holy.......................... lol

Im presently around washington and lincoln. Been all around wichita though....

Ok, I missed that part cmc... figures.. lol Odds are I will give it a shot anyways, I do want that 13.5 mutli at least just to break that 2 gig each.

Back