• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with overclocking new pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trex777

ok what I have:
OS = windows 8.1 enterprise 64bit,
CPU = amd fx9590,
CPU COOLER = Cooler Master V8 GTS - High Performance CPU Cooler with Horizontal Vapor Chamber and 8 Heatpipes,
MOTHERBOARD = ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0,
RAM = G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900),
VIDEO CARD = GIGABYTE GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card,
MAIN DRIVE = OCZ Octane OCT1-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III 2Xnm Synchronous Mode Multi-Level Cell (MLC) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD),
STORAGE DRIVES (3) = Seagate Constellation ES.3 ST3000NM0033 3 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive.

I built this pc for photoshop and lightroom, it should be running very fast but seems to be running slower then I feel it should. In the bios in easy mode I have it set to the highest performance setting of the three they give you. I want to get the most stable and the most performance I can get out of this pc. It is very slow pulling up the storage drives I have them set so they don't sleep so not sure why they are so slow. So any help would be awesome.

You're not overclocking anything with a 9590 and that cooler, sorry,

For stability you're best bet is to drop down to two sticks of ram

If you're going to overclock that CPU better get one of the better all in one water kits like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106241 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856025 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181035. And they won't fit in a lot of cases.

That CPU is already overclocked from the factory and runs very hot. It's sold retail with a minimal water cooling kit and even that is not enough to overclock the thing more than it already is.

Last edited:
ok, thank you for the advise on the cpu, is there any setting I can boost to get more out of the video card, also why is it better to use only 2 sticks of ram, having 32gigs of ram should be more than enough period, unless that is slowing down the pc in a major way. This is in a full tower case so space shouldn't be much of an issue.

The ram on AMD FX is very finicky. It comes down to the IMC in the CPU which can be a bit weak sometimes. That said 32Gb is way more ram than anyone needs unless you have a specific software that will utilize it. I use 8Gb total and only 4Gb when benching. Essentially the more ram you have the harder the IMC has to work to address it. So even if you drop the ram in half you'll have more than enough and it takes some of the strain off the CPU which will help it run faster and cooler.

As for the video card, if you want to OC it use MSI afterburner up the clocks and test with something like Unigine heaven and you can get a bit more out of it. Those 970s clock very well and remain quite cool.

This pc is being used only for photo editing and some video editing, photoshop and lightroom mainly. the newest version uses the video card more than the cpu and when I first built the pc photoshop and lightroom used mainly the cpu and ram, that is why I went with that much ram and cpu.

Ahh I see, PS and Lightroom wouldn't use that much but some video editing software can really eat up the ram. Still I would think 16Gb would be enough but that's irrelevant at this point.
Aside from installation have you done any testing on the system. I'm sure we can get this running better even without a better cooler. Did you set the ram timings and frequency manually in bios? If not that would be a start.
Could you post up some CPU-z shots ? Main tab, memory tab and SPD would be what I want to see.

not really done any testing, I built this in a panic because the system I was using was starting to have issues. but I will do that in the next day or so. thank you for your help.

@ trex777

:welcome: to OCF.

This thread began the first of June, four days ago. Is Sabertooth R2.0 and FX-9590. I cannot think of a single item or suggestion or caution in this brand new thread that will not apply to you and your own FX-9590 configuration. He has 16Gig of ram and we suggest removing 16Gig of your ram to take amount of ram out of the equation as a possible issue. He has only fair water cooling and you have less than fair water cooling.

So everything he has gone thru and been told how to tweak or adjust or suggestions are each and everyone the very same that you will have to go thru. How to test with P95 Blend is covered. The fact we need captures to diagnose at your end from our end is all covered.

It is all there in a four day old thread that is "still" even today ongoing. NO do not post in his thread, but do read and then read again and then one more time and then begin to adjust your configuration just as he had to go thru and adjust. You WILL run out of cooling before you proceed very far, but every principle for adjusting and upclocking an FX-9590 on the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is covered very fully in that thread. No sense in trying to REinvent the wheel.

First manual overclock. FX-9590 Sabertooth 990x R2.0

RGone...ster.

Back