• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Parts List for Windows 7 Desktop Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluemonkeyballs

Greetings:

I am in need of assistance in putting together a Parts List for a new Windows 7 desktop build. This desktop is for my 95 year old grandfather who uses a specific application that is not supported in Windows 10/11.

Would anyone be able to assist me in putting together the list of parts that I would need that are all still Windows 7 compatible?

Prefer the parts to be available on www.microcenter.com as that is the closest computer store to him that will be building the desktop. He lives in NY and I live in CA otherwise I would build it for him. If parts are necessary and not available from Micro Center, that is fine just post the links.

Case: Smaller the better.
CPU: Intel i5/i7
RAM: 8GB
SSD: For W7 and a few applications
HDD: 2TB
GPU: Discreet mid range card
Monitor: He has a monitor already.

Budget: $600-$800 preferably but not a huge issue if it needs to be more.

Thanks in advance!

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

It would also need an optical drive as well.

The last supported (by Microsoft) Windows 7 CPU series was Skylake. i5 6xxx and i7 6xxx k and non k each. The commensurate chipsets were 6th gen. People have made 7th gen systems work with Windows 7, but it is generally not plug and play. Some motherboard manufacturers have Windows 7 drivers available for Kaby Lake on Z170 chipset boards. It would be easier for you to pick parts that meet your criteria, performance wise, and see if they can work with Windows 7. Considering your stated use of these parts, I wouldn't use anything newer than 6th generation (Skylake) parts for a true "set it and forget it" system. Microsux has made it difficult for anyone to stay on the previous (ie: good) operating systems since coming out with Windows 10.

Back