• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ethie1990

Registered
Hi everyone,
Im new to this so be easy on me. I am having a problem with my A8 3870K (what i ordered and received) When i first build my machine windows and CPU-Z showed it as an A8 3870K @3.0GHz. i recently got an SSD and installed Windows 7 home premium 64-bit but now when i run CPU-Z and look at windows it show A8 3870 @ 2.9GHz.

Can anyone help???

Put a load on the CPU with CPUz running (Prime 95 Torture test)... it should jump up to 3.0Ghz. I assume power savings features are on.

CPU Z sometimes can't recognize the CPU correctly. Officialy, it happens because the CPU/ MOBO couple isn't stable enough but it occurs with stock frequencies too... :shrug:

Go to the BIOS and check this, you should find it correct :thup:

You know honestly this is my first build and i dont know all that much about computers i pretty much know the basics haha

Earthdog, that tutorial forgets to mention the first step, that is clicking on Go Advanced.

ethie1990, welcome to OC Forums!

To attach a pic with a post, first crop and save the pic to disc. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious.

You know honestly this is my first build and i dont know all that much about computers i pretty much know the basics haha

To go into the BIOS, you have to restart the computer, and press the right key during the few seconds your MOBO screen appears ;)

The right key can be "delete", "F2", "F8" or even "F10", it completely depends of the manufacturer of your MOBO. If you don't know, it is written in your MOBO's manual. If you can't find it, just reboot, wait for the screen where the logo of the manufacturer appears and check the bottom lines.
A sentence like "Press ... to enter setup" or "... settings" should be in the bottom.

If you succeed going into the BIOS, you can go in the "advanced" part (or whatever it is called ^^'), your CPU frequency should be listed here. The key to exit is written in the bottom of the screen (often F10)

ethie, the best way for us to help you would be for you to take a digital camera and snap pictures of your bios sections that deal with overclocking, i.e., the sections where you can change frequencies and voltages. Then attach the pics with your posts. That way we can see what you see in your bios.

Should we hit the buttons for them? :p

No, but a noob likely wouldn't know where to start even. The Go Advanced button doesn't exactly light up and flash the words, "If you want to attach images, click Me."

True. But a little common sense and general forum use goes a long way. You are most welcome to add that step to the image and have it saved as a template here if you would like though. :)

Thanks for the help i will start a new thread when i am able to get some screens
Keep the screenshots in this thread. Starting multiple threads wont help anyone. :thup:

You dont need to touch it outside of installing it... and running WEI (Windows Experience Index) after your installation. If its pre install........

1. Install windows 7/8
2. Install chipset drivers and GPU drivers, reboot
3. Run WEI
4. Install the rest of your drivers then apps and programs
5. If you want to save space, shrink your page file to 2GB, and disable system restore (if you dont use it).

That's it! :)

Last edited:
090.JPG

ok so i think i found out what happened. i went into my BIOS and found that my multiplier was set at x29 so i changed it to x30 and that seems to have fixed it but there is one other problem. i recently got a geforce 650ti 2 gb and this keeps popping up.

ATI engine control center is not going to work with an Nvidia Video card. You must have left over ATI video drivers.

Back