• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Helping a friend with an AMD-Dell system...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I've got a friend who has a Dell that is out of warranty. It was having random blue screens while in warranty, and the motherboard was replaced. It is still having problems. When I was helping them, I noticed that some times when it would lock up in the boot, the screen would display a pinkish checkerboard overlay. I suspect that she may have memory that isn't getting enough, or maybe too much voltage. Swapping memory sticks around does seem to help somewhat, for a while. I have been totally swamped lately, and haven't had a chance to research, plus not having any real experience with AMD boards for a while.

Is my suspicion about memory correct, and what would be the best memory for this system? The owner is willing to buy ECC or Registered memory if it would help.

CPU-Z screens attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• CPUZ - CPU.png
    CPUZ - CPU.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 41
  • CPUZ - Memory.png
    CPUZ - Memory.png
    39 KB · Views: 43
  • CPUZ - Motherboard.png
    CPUZ - Motherboard.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 43
Famous problem of BSoD with DELL rigs, maybe some Kingston value can works. DDR3 1333MHz seems the default for that, but if you can find the specs of that mobo we can be more clear.

Pink overlays usually (IME) is a result of video output my aunts old laptop had the same issue, hers however was not memory related. (And was not a checkerboard either). On most IGP AMD systems anymore they have sideband memory. This is a dedicated memory chip just for IGP. You should be able in the bios, to set this only and not use shared memory.

If that fixes the problem it was in fact system memory and should be replaced. However once replaced I would still leave the setting to sideband only.

If you do not have control over CPU speeds, 1333 will be the recommended max memory speed, as faster memory would be limited without increased CPUNB speed. (1333 mem = 2000 CPUNB, 1600 Mem = 2400 CPUNB) the ratio is 3x actual clocks.

Finally had a chance to sit down and dig up the information from Dell. Memory is supposed to be 1066 speed. I do remember a video setting from the bios but it didn't seem to be memory related. Unfortunately, the computer is about a 45 minute drive away.

Also, only non-ECC memory. Would this mean no registerd RAM as well?

ECC-reg'd ram is only for boards that can support it...which is NOT most consumer level systems.

ECC-reg'd ram is only for boards that can support it...which is NOT most consumer level systems.

Thanks. I figured that was probably the case, but I've been surprised before.

Given the frustration level of my friend at this point, we'll probably try some new system ram, and if that doesn't work, she will probably go for a new system.

The other thing I'm wondering about, is it possible that the CPU's memory controller might be going bad? With only one ram chip, it went about a week without problems before it started blue screening again.

Anything is possible. Did you try more NB volts for its IMC? you can try lowering the ram speed to 1066 as well and see if that helps.

Anything is possible. Did you try more NB volts for its IMC? you can try lowering the ram speed to 1066 as well and see if that helps.

Unfortuantely we are talking Dell here. No voltage controls or speed controls on the memory.

Back