• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here is my new gaming rig.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knighttime

Registered
What do you think? The only item I am still up in the air about is my memory. I've heard alot of good things about OCZ, esp with DFI motherboard but I can't decide on which model. I am going with 2GB unless someone thinks otherwise.

Case: Gigabyte 3D Aurora (Black)

MB: DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert

CPU: AMD Opteron 175; w/ Zalman 9500 Cooling Fan w/ Heatsink

VC: BFG Geforce 7800 GTX PCI Express

HD: 2 WD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM

CD/DVD: Plextor Black IDE Slot Load DVD Burner

LCD: Viewsonic VX922 Black/Silver 19" LCD (2-4ms)

Now the memory.....which do I choose: (I hope the links work)

OCZ Gold Gamer eXtreme Edition 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 433 (PC 3500) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 600 (PC 4800) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory

The only other item is OS....I think I will just go with Windows XP Pro 32bit. I thought about 64 bit but not sure I want to deal with all the driver headaches. My primary purpose is gaming and I have not seen enough positive comments on the 64bits impact.

Any other comments on what I have selected are appreciated. Will probably send in my order to Newegg tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help.

Why not consider the 150GB Raptor w/ 16mb cache? It should be able to outperform 2x74GB Raptor in RAID0.

I have the OCZ Performance 2x1GB on my A8N32 and Opteron 175, and I can get 2.7-2.85ghz or so, still in testing.

Definitely go for 2x1GB when building a new system, much more futureproof and beneficial.

I wouldn't want to recommend the 64-Bit Windows XP, it barely has any performance increases except for a few points in benchmarks and here or there. It comes with a bit too many driver problems that aren't worth the trouble for a little increase in performance.

Yeah, go for 2x1 gig. I'm building mine right now (won't be as nice as yours though!). My logic is that in a year or so, applications and games will be taxing more RAM then they have the past 2 years.

I agree with the RAM comment above, why skimp on RAM when money doesnt seem to be an issue? Go with 2 gigs right off the bat. Otherwise your system sounds really good. :welcome: to the forums!

As I mentioned, I am going with 2 gig

but I am not sure which model to purchase. I probably limit my choice a bit more by choosing 1 gb sticks as 2 is probably better than 4 512's. Any thoughts on the memory I have listed.

As for the 150 raptor, probably something I should consider. I can get 2 74's for $135 a piece ($155 - $20 Rebate) at Newegg. So basically, there is a $30 difference between them. Probably worth it, I just have not read anything on the new 150's. I suppose I can raid the 150's down the road as needed.....price will drop too I suppose.

Let me know. Thanks for all the input!!!

Back