• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hey all...i was jus wondering about what you think about my rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sounds like your memory will boot into windows at 200 mhz already, not stable, but it at least gets there. You can try increasing your mem voltage and relaxing your timings to see if you can get some stability.

pc2700 is supposed to run at least 333mhz but it can be overclocked higher, how high depends on the quality of the ram, and a little bit of luck is involved :)

maybe i might just leave the ram settings alone for now..not tooo confident in doing it just yet...but will it me ok if i leave it at auto and move the fsb up? above 200 that is?

how are u getting 4512 in 3d mark 03 with a 9200se? dont u mean 3d mark 01?

Nishant said:
ok i jus tried changing it to 100% but after doing that internet explorer crashed on me twice and i went back and changed it back to auto and its running at 6:5 ratio...but shouldnt pc2700 run at 333MHz?

the source of confusion here is that there are two different numbers commly interchanged in relation to FSB. The frequency, and the DDR (double data rate) frequency. If you set your FSB at 166 it is "really" running at 333. If you set it at 200 it is "really" running 400mhz after DDR is taken into consideration.

The way it works is you are running a frequency of 166mhz, or 166 million cycles per second. Now the way DDR works is it uses both the rise and the fall of the clock cycle (electrical pusles) to transmitt data, thereby getting twice the bandwidth out of that 166mhz.

The 6:5 ration part is the ratio of your memory FSB speed to your processor FSB speed. The memory is running at 166, the processor is running at 200. 200/166 is approximentally 6/5. Generally the best performance is gained fron running them at the same frequencey (1:1), but in your case that may not be because you wont be able to get your CPU up to where it should be by doing so.

Now in regards to dammaging your system, no. Going above and beyond the rated specs is called overclocking ;)... its what we do here:D. Now, that said, it CAN cause dammage when coupled with insufficient cooling and too much voltage, and it can shorten component life, though not significantly. Just be careful, watch the temps at first, and dont up the voltage too much.

o, and i duno if anyone has done this yet, but
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

WyrmMaster said:
the source of confusion here is that there are two different numbers commly interchanged in relation to FSB. The frequency, and the DDR (double data rate) frequency. If you set your FSB at 166 it is "really" running at 333. If you set it at 200 it is "really" running 400mhz after DDR is taken into consideration.

The way it works is you are running a frequency of 166mhz, or 166 million cycles per second. Now the way DDR works is it uses both the rise and the fall of the clock cycle (electrical pusles) to transmitt data, thereby getting twice the bandwidth out of that 166mhz.

The 6:5 ration part is the ratio of your memory FSB speed to your processor FSB speed. The memory is running at 166, the processor is running at 200. 200/166 is approximentally 6/5. Generally the best performance is gained fron running them at the same frequencey (1:1), but in your case that may not be because you wont be able to get your CPU up to where it should be by doing so.

Now in regards to dammaging your system, no. Going above and beyond the rated specs is called overclocking ;)... its what we do here:D. Now, that said, it CAN cause dammage when coupled with insufficient cooling and too much voltage, and it can shorten component life, though not significantly. Just be careful, watch the temps at first, and dont up the voltage too much.

hey thanks a lot for this info...that actually explains why it crashed as it was running at 400mhz where as its only supposed to run at 333 and i wouldnt expect it to run at 400 as its a crappy set of ram..need to get me some proper ram.so i guess i might just leave it at 6:5 for now.....thanks a lot...very much appreciated :)

there is a deal in cyber deals for a AIW 9800 PRO for 173 the last time i checked.

I don't want to threadjack or anything, but here's my comp:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.6ghz)
SF2 / Freebie Thermaltake heatsink
Cheapo Emachines mobo
512MB ram - generic (got a 256MB stick for free after rebates :D)
Radeon 9600 NP AIW (oc'd to 420/265... Can't go higher on 3Dmark03 w/o having my PSU poop out on me)
120GB 7200RPM 8MB cache Seagate
emachine cd writer and dvd drives
about 38C Idle (middle of the night)/45C Max load... unless on 'silent' mode (5v fans... etc. Then I can make everything like 60C).

I was curious how my comp compared to Nishant's comp, so I dl'ed 3Dmark01 (got about 3k on 3Dmark03), and I was able to snag 8722 3Dmark01 points. Does the video card make that big of a difference? :eh?:

neonblingbling said:
I was curious how my comp compared to Nishant's comp, so I dl'ed 3Dmark01 (got about 3k on 3Dmark03), and I was able to snag 8722 3Dmark01 points. Does the video card make that big of a difference? :eh?:

i guess it does ...well my 9800 pro's on its way :D

Not bad, I'd give it an 8. Have you thought about overclocking the video card/upgrading the cooling on it?

For me I get a bigger boost in games/3dmark from overclocking the gpu over the cpu. But then, my cpu isn't exactly a monster overclocker either.

sandman001 said:
Not bad, I'd give it an 8. Have you thought about overclocking the video card/upgrading the cooling on it?

For me I get a bigger boost in games/3dmark from overclocking the gpu over the cpu. But then, my cpu isn't exactly a monster overclocker either.

hry thanks for the 8...i just got the 9800pro in today and i was reading the thread on softmodding my 9800pro to a 9800xt..so i might do it..but for now im takin in the improvement i have from wen i had the 9200se card last nite :D

Nishant said:
hry thanks for the 8...i just got the 9800pro in today and i was reading the thread on softmodding my 9800pro to a 9800xt..so i might do it..but for now im takin in the improvement i have from wen i had the 9200se card last nite :D
Yea it is a nice improvement. As for the flash its really painless, and it nets quite a bit of performance from it.

i've got a GECUBE radeon 9800pro...128mb version...how do i know which xt bios would suit it best?

Which ram chips does it have? and will it run XT speeds? Which core does it have?

There are different bioses for different memory chips.

first, you need to verify that it will run XT speeds, if it won't the flash won't work, because it won't clock that high. If it doesn't, you'll either need to upgrade the cooling, or not flash it.

Second, you need to find a bios for your type of ram. If you get the wrong one a couple things can happen. It could just not post. It could not overclock as well, or it might work just as well as with the correct bios.

Third, you need to see which core and PCB layout it has, this is to see if you'll get the XT features, like temp monitoring. Also, if you have the R350core, sometimes the flash will give some wierd symptoms, such as artifacts in certain games/situations.

Fourth, back up the stock BIOS.

Then, you should be ready to flash it.

i'll have a look at it tonight but i think for now i might just upgrade cooling and try to overclock it a bit....wonder wat i can get it up to just on stock cooling

yeh it did
i had - 4512 on 3Dmark01 b4 now its 15243
- 512 on 3Dmark03 b4 now its 5680

well im happy with it and its at stock...just gotta get used to it then i can oc it...bu the way...how wud u rate my rig neonblingbling?

Back