• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey, can you help me choose a motherboard for a Phenom II 940?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ubercooldave

ive got to decide on a decent motherboard for a Phenom II 940...

i was looking at an mATX, the smaller size fitting in to a GMC case that looks like part of a hifi system (and it therefore looking like part of my hifi system when i put it on my rack)

What are the limitations of mATX? i only need one HDD and one DVD (poss bluray) drive, however i do have PCI soundcard i want to add and either one or two high end graphics cards (my budget for which is £150 to £200) and either 4 or 8 gigs of ram.

I want to be able to play all the new games with anti aliasing and the higher settings you see... and have a CPU powerful enough for fast picture, audio and video editing (plus real time effects).

Am i asking too much from mATX?

I was looking at this one "DFI Lanparty LPJR790GX-M2RS Socket AM2+ DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio MATX"
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160867

Definitely don't need the 8 channel audio so i'll disable that instantly lol

From what i gather this motherboard is compatible with the Phenom II 940, but is it fast enough? What are the cons of a cheap mATX like this vs a more expensive mATX or ATX?

Will i be able to update it with future processors (better than the Phenom) when they come out?

Many thanks

okay i gave up on mATX

how about this?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160854
a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4 AMD 790X Socket AM2+ ATX 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

better without onboard sound but what can i do

would this match the phenom x4 II 940 well and allow me to overclock to at least 3.6ghz?
i would like a decent £150-ish graphics card at some point, is this likely to support it?

:welcome: to OCF!

The 790X/790FX chipsets are the best for OC'ing, IMO, you shouldn't have any problem with that. The board should also support any single graphics card you'd want but no AMD chipset board will support SLI - only Crossfire. As long as you don't want to run dual nVidia graphics you're good ... :)

Back