• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey guys, I found a waterblock for you...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I haven't seen the video yet, but haven't direct die waterblocks already been tried numerous times and found not to make much of any difference compared to waterblock to IHS already? Even water directly on the die was attempted and wasn't that practical for the little improvement it made. Bear in mind, this information is from many years ago (back when water cooling was still fairly new), so I do not know if newer CPUs fair differently.

Why can't you use a off the shelf block with out the IHS? I use to do that all the time with older systems, most you will have to do is remove the lga socket brackets.

Why can't you use a off the shelf block with out the IHS? I use to do that all the time with older systems, most you will have to do is remove the lga socket brackets.

The new dies are prone to cracking under pressure so a system like this takes into account clearances so that there is less chance of cracking the die.

The idea is to keep the installation as simple as possible, and the results from the Linus video are encouraging.

It has 3 advantages;

- Mounts using the design by Intel for securing the processor in place, reducing the likelihood of 1: core cracking, or 2: Not enough pressure and causing the chip to short circuit or arc.
- Does not require modification of the motherboard
- Less thermal compound used

The idea is to keep the installation as simple as possible, and the results from the Linus video are encouraging.

That's what impressed me. The temp difference between cores dropping a lot would seem to indicate the ability to get closer to the ragged edge with more precision.

You can but it's extremely risky it would take a lot of fine tuning to control just the right amount of contact pressure, and it's not just about cracking the die but the substrate the die is mounted on is much thinner on the 6th, 7th, and 8th generation Intel 1151 socket. Which means without the IHS too much pressure can actually bend the substrate further down onto the contact fingers underneath the CPU, possibly damaging them and shorting the contacts underneath.

With the water block actually taking the place of the heat spreader all those tolerances and pressures are accounted for down to a simple set it, clamp it down, and forget it with zero boot up problems. If you watched the You Tube video even when they spilled water and had to dry out the socket area it booted right up. That's very different from the video I saw where they were attempting to use a standard water block bare die mount and the numerous time they had to readjust pressure just to get the machine to boot.

Go back to the time of AMD spacers. :beer:

This. Direct die cooling used to be the norm and its still the norm with laptop CPUs With the right mounting parts, spacers and not over tightening the heat sink its fine even on thin CPUs.

I don't see how using this block wold be any different. Other then you don't have to remove the LGA bracket on LAG sockets. Witch is not a big deal on most LGA sockets. I could see it cracking the die just like any other block.
I just don't get it, maybe if you want to keep the mobo warranty, but if you deliding a CPU I can't see you caring about the mobo warranty much.

The delid die guard makes a lot more sense to me as you can use what ever heatsink you want.
02-delid-cpu-board-mounted.jpg

Last edited:
This. Direct die cooling used to be the norm and its still the norm with laptop CPUs With the right mounting parts, spacers and not over tightening the heat sink its fine even on thin CPUs.

I don't see how using this block wold be any different. Other then you don't have to remove the LGA bracket on LAG sockets. Witch is not a big deal on most LGA sockets. I could see it cracking the die just like any other block.
I just don't get it, maybe if you want to keep the mobo warranty, but if you deliding a CPU I can't see you caring about the mobo warranty much.

The delid die guard makes a lot more sense to me as you can use what ever heatsink you want.
02-delid-cpu-board-mounted.jpg

It really comes down to ease of use. Can you make it work with a traditional block yes. How much hassle is involved though. You will possible need to modify mounting system, use different spacers, use different springs or get pressures right. You also have to worry about any convex or concave curves of the traditional blocks.

So can it be done? Yes but most people do not want to spend the time or hassle to make it work and stress over breaking anything.

This solution is basically set and forget without having to worry about finding the correct parts. It brings the concept of direct die cooling to a larger crowd by making it easier with less risk.

It is like buying a case that is designed for watercooling that is easy to fit rads in versus a traditional case that you can jam/modify to make the rads fit. It all comes down to paying for ease of use.

I don't see how using this block wold be any different.

Lochekey already pointed out the curvature of the water blocks so I'm not addressing that.

IMO being able to remove any unnecessary metal between the coolant inside the water block and the die itself is a great benefit and the V1 allows that right down to the dire necessities. Which allows the coolant flowing through the water block to remove the heat from the die faster simply because there's less metal to hold the heat.

Some water blocks have massive copper bases and most any of them I've experimented with have no problems shaving thickness from the bottom which improves the cooling of that particular water block but you cannot cut out the massive base perimeter of these water blocks without a redesign. With Intel getting smaller and smaller with their dies the available water blocks only change a mounting assembly and continue to use the same massive water blocks.

I have actually modified an old Danger Den MC-TDX water block that has the forged pins and in its day it seriously lost it's performance standing to the XSPC Rasa, and EK Supremacy blocks that were much bigger but were using the jet plate technology. The jetplates require a larger base to accomodate that technology so the size of the water block copper bases almost tripled in size of what Danger Den was marketing.

Unfortunately the more copper base you have the longer it will hold heat and even though I have experimented shaving off as much copper as could be done it just a drop in the bucket to the overall size of the copper base in relation to the small Intel heat spreader underneath that base. So the idea of modifying the old DD MC-TDX to not only just make the contacting size as close as possible to the actual heat spreader but also to shave off as much of the copper as possible between the cooling pins and the IHS contact without loosing the water block integrity.

Which believe it or not all the previous modifications I had done to my XSPC Raystorm and EK Supremacy EVO that produced cooling performance gains were beaten by the Danger Den modifications by about 2c, so old school beats new school with additional modifications.

20171112_080756.jpg

So with the V1 being so much smaller and designed for direct die mounting it will be better IMO, and that's why I backed it myself.

Back