• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hey guys i just wanted to share an awesum way to fix noisy fans!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
drewthomas14 said:
I used 3 in 1 oil on the fan on my processor and it's been like 3 weeks. Is it really going to gum up ,because i've seen many ppl recommend it before. I oiled my gpu fan with some high quaility skateboard bearing oil , i hope it doesnt gum up either.
Well it may, or it may not, some people use it all the time and have no problems, others it gums up and the fan dies, it really depends on several factors. If you want to clean it out use some WD-40 to clean it out, then run it for a couple of hours, after that use some of skateboard bearing oil on it. You may have to oil it more than once if you clean it out with wd-40, I only recommend doing it after it gums up.. it may not gum up though

sendatooli said:
and in canada knowing of their hatred of guns,

I thought Canada had a lot of guns, or then the maker of Bowling for Columbine lied. http://www.handgunfree.org/HFAMain/research/abroad/canada.htm

Anyways, you can also use skateboard bearing oil. It's very light, and I have used bearing 'light oil' before in a few fans. The only bad part is I don't know how long it lasts. For skateboards the life time of light bearing oil is 2 weeks, but I have had my fans run fine for much longer that that. If you want to look for it, the best brand it's "Bone's swiss lube" awesome stuff and about $10 a bottle. Given how skateboarding is mainstream now I'm sure you can find lube at toy stores, or sporting good store for even cheaper now.

Does anyone know if they make a teflon lube or spray? That might be good for those cheap bearingless fans.

*Edit* for ghetto points, I had an old bearingless fan that made noise, so I just cleaned it, and rubbed a pencil all over it inside and sealed it. Worked very well.... for 30 mins or so, but it was worth a try.

so far so good with graphite grease! i don't know why they use it on brakes. all i know about cars is how to drive one :)

the idea is to get a lube that can work its way into the sealed bearing cartridge. simply lubing the post will actually make it slip. severly reducing the fans rated rpm. best thing to do is take apart the fan(if you know how) and soak just the bearings in grease. clean the post with wd40 and reassemble. on the other hand most people will find it easier to simply replace the fan. unless, like mine it is a special fan that isn't easily replaceable.

sendatooli.

I'm not a car expert (or even literate in their internal workings), but I could take a wild stab at this: I have a fealing they're lubing the hydraulic piston, not the brake pad itself. :) Yes, the brake pad uses friction to slow the wheel, but the rest of the mechanism is probably supposed to work smoothly. After all, it'd be a pity if your break piston locked up and prevented you from applying friction when you really needed it. In an Indie 500 situation, I imagine even a little unexpected interference or resistance could bring a bad end to your racing day, if timing is as important as I suspect it to be at those speeds.

sendatooli said:
firearms are always such a heated debate. i hope none of you with guns are overclocking them. lol.

damn....you mean im not supposed to use 20 grains of powder instead of the 10 the book called for?:bang head

j/k by the way.

They are greesing the break pad

It goes behind the Breakpad where the metal of the pad touches The Plate. This stops the breaks from squeeking during breaking. Its also used for front Disc break shoes on the back of the pad where it connects to the Calipers. This stops unwanted metal squeeking.

Now as for the Lube. I use Electric Motor oil. Dont have a brand name right off hand, but thats what i use. Its made for HIGH rpm's.

As for guns. Its not guns that kill. If the person was going to do it, They would use whatever they HAd, Ie. Knife, Hammer, Ect. Cant blame the tool, Just the user. And Moore Is A complete Whacko! His socalled films are FILLED with miss information. All of it false.

Harry

Polary LOL

I overclock my bullits LOL A bit more powder is called a hot round. Overclocking reaches far and wide LOL. Just like tim taylor in home improvement" MORE POWER!! " LOL

Harry

Re: They are greesing the break pad

harryinny3 said:
And Moore Is A complete Whacko! His socalled films are FILLED with miss information. All of it false.

Harry

Well sir, first off, I don't think anyone should be attacked because of their investigative reporting. Second, do you have any evidence that his films are "Filled with misinformation"? And finally, I don't have the statistics right next to me, but when Clinton was in office and had gun restrictions every year he was in office violent crime rates went down (totaling around 30% I think, but I can't remember off hand). With both old and new Bush and lighter gun regulations violent crimes rose/rise every year he/they're in office.

Just some thoughts.

-Jeff

Sorry dont need proof,

Alls i need is the socalled documentrys he puts out. Proof enough. And im not going to get into this Clinton was god and Bush is the devil deal here. Just ask bill why he blew up a tent. Cant believe i replied Grrrrrrr. This isnt the place!

Harry

Re: Sorry dont need proof,

harryinny3 said:
Alls i need is the socalled documentrys he puts out. Proof enough.

Alright, so you have no proof.

harryinny3 said:
Just ask bill why he blew up a tent.

...What?

harryinny3 said:
This isnt the place!

True, it isn't. And think about that next time before you post "And Moore Is A complete Whacko! His socalled films are FILLED with miss information. All of it false."

-Jeff

Oh boy Come on now.

Since it was posted about Moore he is fair game. I didnt start it.

Whats the love affair with Moore? Heck proof he is whacked lies in the outburst he HAd at the Oscars. Poof

enough. Im not going to go through a transcript of half truths and lies Just to get you proof. Aint got time Or do i care. Investigative? I think not. Hack job? Yup sure do think that.

As for the tent. Ole bill Knew About Osama, Threw a bunch of Tomahawk Missles at His camps and NOONE HOME! Hit a tent and aan asprin factory. And as long as your gonna keep posting this here I will Ablige and fire back.

I can say as i wish About Moore. Hell Bill Gates gets Blasted More than anyone.

These are JMO Like em or not thats Up to you. Its One freedom i have left. And believe when i say, Bush didnt start that Neither. Ole Bubba did when he sold us out to china. I could go on and on But If ya really want to discuss this further Just tell me where the Political board is that you frequent ans we can compare Truths there. Point the way. Luta or whoever, If ya see this thread, Edit or do whatever ya have to. Just defending myself is all. Its all good.

Harry Unsubscribe is a good thing,.

Skulemate said:

:eh?: I'm not sure that Michael Moore is the most credible source for such "facts"... ;)

Michael Moore has certainly done his homework, his facts are dead on; we have many more rifles in Canada per capita than they do in the States, although not as many hand guns.

ofcourse theres more rifles in canada

You all have the best hunting in the world there. I envy that. I could have stated that. But you are right there are way too many handguns here in the us. Heck Its a fact that Cargo planes and ships security is so Laxed here ya could ship crate apon crate of handguns here and noone would be the wiser. The only thing that upsets me is that Legit rifles get a bad rap here. I can see the bad rap for handguns and semi assult rifles. Hell I think there is no need for handguns and assult rifles. They serve no purpose but to kill people. What animal requires you have a 100 round clip? A 10 round one is overkill for that matter. Colombine wouldnt even have happened if Parents took a more active role in there kids lives. And People locked there Rifles away in A gun safe Like mine are. Its high time people stop putting the blame on Vidio games and the guns. Any rational person Knows wrong from right, There isnt NO vidio game in the world that can change that. Its just a way of life in this world to put blame in everything BUT yourself.

Harry

Re: Oh boy Come on now.

harryinny3 said:
As for the tent. Ole bill Knew About Osama, Threw a bunch of Tomahawk Missles at His camps and NOONE HOME! Hit a tent and aan asprin factory.

Ah, alright. Yes you are correct, President Clinton did know of Osama and al Queda are reguarded them as a threat. What I'm pretty sure you don't know is he pushed for an Anti Terrorism branch to quell this soon before he got out of office, and assigned a Mr. Wolfe to work with the issue under the new administration. President Bush declined to act on this advice on the grounds that A. It was Clintonite, B. He deemed it unworth the cost and C. When he was running for president he preached a no foreign interaction plan and this would contridict that heavily.

So he didn't act - until September 11th of course. Then he pulled a complete 180, his cronies in the house had the audacity to BLAME CLINTON and he instituted the anti-terriorism campaign Wolfe had been pushing for such a long time - but excluded Wolfe of course.

And I still don't think it's right to attack a journalist because you don't like his facts. Just because other people attack "Billy Gates" doesn't make you attacking someone else right.

-Jeff

Well your right

But i still dont consider Moore a Journalist. In all honestly i think his Documentry was more political than anything.

Your right and sorry for name calling. But i still hold him in Low reguard.

As for clinton and bush. I think, and you will agree, There is enough blame for both parties. And i honestly think If the Cia and such were restructured LONG ago this might not have happened. But it did, And in all honestly i think it couldnt have been stopped.

I still see those visions every day. It still makes me mad as He double hockey sticks.

Peace dude.

Harry

Alright, thanks for extending the olive branch, I think we can leave this thread back to fan cooling now. :)

Sorry for being so partisanl, I've been having one of those weeks.

See ya round

-Jeff

One of those weeks is right lol

I hear ya. Ive been recovering from my 5th surgery on my back, and it snowed like crazy here. Grrrrr But such is life.

Have a great day

Harry

It's something like 1 in 3 houses in canada has at least one gun.

I don't have any my self (thoe I will be inherating a few shortly) I do know a few people that have a dozen or more

sendatooli said:
hi all,

i have had many a noisy fan. what i always did was put a little 3 and one oil on the bearing. and like clock work the fan would die several days later!
well i had this idea to put something called "rem-oil" on the bearing. well well, just another use for this amazing product that works wonders! this oil is for guns(even though i dont like guns).
you can get it at wall-mart in the united states. it has a million uses. if you have a quiet fan it will make it silent! if you have a noisy fan it will make it quiet! just put 2 drops on the backside of the bearing. i must however add a disclaimer. it worked like a charm for me, ymmv. :)

sendatooli.

WOW!! i came over here to ask this SAME exact question! (havent been in cooling for awhile)

ive tried 3in1, to no avail...

i would hate to see this thread die cause of side-banter....

maybe there should be a sticky on this subj.? and are there certain fans that are prone to dying?

btw, one is on the northbridge of my kt4, and the other is in a Sparkle 250 watt PSU...

man i HATE the noise of these fans, sounds like a dying cow.

Back