• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High GPU Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
give us a close up picture of the video card in the pc as it is. we can tell from there, or should be able to.

You think maybe the block is clogged? Sometimes during the machining process QC doesn't clean the blocks properly leaving behind metal shavings which can get lodged within the block's fins. This can also happen with the rad.

I did mention the block is prolly not mounted right and is making poor contact.

Wow, first I have to say I am blown away by the amount of help I have received here. I actually posted this same question on other forums too and haven't received nearly this much feedback. Thanks :)

Anyway here is an image of how the hoses connect to the water block. They are on the same side.

gpu_waterBlock.jpg

But the manual from BFG specifies to have them on the same side for a single card setup. BFG Tech Manual :shrug:

I'm going to give BFG Tech a call and see what they suggest.

His CPU temps seem to be ok, if the rad or GPU block was clogged it would affect the CPU temps too.

Just out of curiosity is the GPU block hot to the touch?

ok so your tubing is hooked up right, which means there is either a blocked passage (as said above), the block wasn't installed right or as some type of defect, the koolence system just can't handle it.

i would say reseat the block and see what happens. if that doesn't work take it out of the loop and hook it up to the pump and pump some water through it, how's the flow? if it flows at roughly the same speed/pressure as the pump alone then its not blocked.

with those two out of the question i would say its to much heat for the system to handle.

That elbow doesn't look good at all...

it shouldn't be causing that much of a problem.

change the 90 degree elbow to a straight fitting and put in on the top not the bottom and leave the other fitting the way it is. (like in the picture i provided up a couple of posts.)

@CGR - I felt the block and there was some definite heat coming off of it at idle. Not enough to burn me but it caused me to pull back for a second.

I think I agree with CGR about the possibility of clogging. If my system was clogged my CPU would be running excessively hot as well. I'm afraid to remove the block anyways with the possibility of voiding the warranty.

I called up BFG Tech, told em my temps and they set me up with an RMA replacement. I'm a college student so if I time it right I should only be without a gpu while I'm gone and at home over the holiday break, so it's not a big deal aside from wasting the fluid... that stuff ain't cheap.

I went ahead and ordered the standard straight fitting from Koolance so that when I do get the replacement I can use that instead of the elbowed one that I have now.

One thing I didn't do when I first filled it up was tilt the radiator. I've notice that some people suggest doing that. Would that have made any difference?

Once again thanks for all your help :clap:

One thing I didn't do when I first filled it up was tilt the radiator. I've notice that some people suggest doing that. Would that have made any difference?

This interests me. I'm wondering what this is about.

tilting should remove air bubles, but as your cpu temps seems to be quite normal for such a kit, i dont think you have much air in the rad

I have a friend that mounted a Koolance block on a BFG 8800 and he had to grind a spot on the block a little to get it to fit flat. He actually sent the block and card back to Koolance and they fixed it for him....

@CGR - I felt the block and there was some definite heat coming off of it at idle. Not enough to burn me but it caused me to pull back for a second.
:

Yea, if anything it should feel maybe warm under full load and never that hot at idle. Just a defective unit I think. Hope the new one works better :)

if its not making good contact you would think the card would be nice and cool.it sounds more like theres something wrong with either the loop itself or the card is blocked up somewhere.ie the water isnt flowing thru the block.or maybe that elbow is in fact killing flow to the card?could it be a back flow problem at the elbow?maybe its a bubble stuck inside the channel?i paid hell getting the bubble out of my ek.the only reason i noticed it is because ive got the clear top rather than the delrin...hmmm.

don't waste your money on that fluid xp crap anymore, just get a bottle of swiftech hydrx and distilled water, much cheaper and won't leave nasty **** in your tubes.

maxfly's theory about bubbles sparked my curiosity. Do you think this could be the problem?

I wouldn't think that a bubble in the gpu block would affect processor temps because it doesn't really effect the flow, but would impact gpu temps because it decreases the amount of water making contact with the gpu block. Does that sound right? I'm no expert ;P

Also I think I figured out which block bfg tech is using. It looks like they are using one of Danger Den design. See images below

ocForum_bfg_8800u.jpg

ocForum_dangerDen_gpuWB.jpg

Anyone have any experience with this block? Any known problems that might be related to mine?

@ Spawn-Inc - I've seen mixed reviews about Fluid XP. The one major thing I liked about it though was the fact that it was non-conductive and didn't need additives. It's my understanding that distilled water will become conductive once you mix in additives (such as hydrx). Is this true? I guess I could just get in the habbit of running the distilled water through to check for leaks and then adding in additives. Would that work? If fluid XP is in fact crap, and is gunking up my system, what's the best way to clean it out?

Thanks again for all the help everyone. I can't express enough appreciation. :)

i don't think an air bubble would get stuck in the gpu block because its like tubing, but metal. it follows a path along the various heat producing chips. here is what the inside of that block looks like, its all smooth for better flow. i really doubt there is air inside. the guy said there was loose metal in there, maybe its blocking the flow on yours.

i'm not sure if it voids the warranty but you could pop it open and have a peak.

i'm not sure if adding the swiftech hydrx will make it conductive but you only put in like 5%, so i'm not sure how conductive it would make it if at all. as long as your fittings and such are tight you shouldn't spring a leak, but stuff happens to i guess.

as for cleaning it i have heard it leave a waxy residue, i would just use hot soapy water to clean the system. no bleach or vinegar.

bubble troubles

You don't think air could be stuck in the GPU? Even with that elbow I have coming out of it, facing down ( the hoze on the right ). Granted it would probably have to be a pretty big bubble to impact the gpu core. guessing of course :shrug:

gpu_waterBlock.jpg

Maybe I should just clean out the system, and move the elbow to the top, just to make sure. I think I'll call bfg tech again and see if in fact opening up the block would void the warranty.

Thanks again Spawn-Inc :)

np's love helping out, if i can.

i'm not sure what that sticker is on the block but if it's what i think it is then it says do not open or warranty voided if opened?

depending on how strong/weak the pump it should have enough force to push out any air. if everything is securely attached flip the case on its side (motherboard closet to the ground and video car sticking up) watch if any air comes out.

Well, I tried tipping it, while some air did come out of the block. It didn't really affect my temps. I guess I'll just have to wait till I get the replacement and hope for the best.

Thanks all for the help, I'll try to remember to update this thread when I get the new card, and let everyone know how it turned out. I'm sure you'll definitely be hearing from me again if I run in to more problems lol :thup:

i'm not sure what that sticker is on the block but if it's what i think it is then it says do not open or warranty voided if opened?
That sticker means warranty voided if you recieve the block with a tampered/removed sticker. Your warranty is still intact with DangerDen if you open the block to clean it etc.

Dont quote me on this, take a look on the DangerDen site.

Back