• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Mobo Idle Temps? With CPU fine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hiero

Hi,

I recently built a new multi-purpose rig:

Ryzen 1700
Corsair h100i v2
CM Stryker (Re-used)
G. Skill Flare-X 3200
MSI b350 gaming Pro Carbon
EVGA GTX 1070

I got a stable OC of 3.8 @ 1.36V, with idle cpu temps in 30c and load temps in high 60s. Never went above 69c.

Unfortunately, my Mobo seems to run a bit hot. idles mid to high 30s and under load was going to high 50s...

On previous builds, I was using a hyper 212 and did significantly less OCing. This is my first water-cooled cpu. I read that this can be the case (mobo's running hot) since I had to remove the top 240 MM fan on my case to install the radiator for the CPU.

Is what I'm experiencing a problem? What are some solutions? Do I need to install more fans on this CM Stryker?

Thanks for this help

Your temps look in line from what I have seen from some quick googling . Are you sure its the MB temp and not the VRM ?

Can you post a pic of HWMonitor's temp section after placing the system under significant load (e.g. Prime95) for about 15 minutes? We're not sure what exactly you refer to when you say "motherboard temp." There is more than one temp sensor on must motherboards.

Can you post a pic of HWMonitor's temp section after placing the system under significant load (e.g. Prime95) for about 15 minutes? We're not sure what exactly you refer to when you say "motherboard temp." There is more than one temp sensor on must motherboards.

Here are temps after 15 minutes Aida64.

HWMonitor: https://gyazo.com/48fdbd7ec1e3a843f423e7776843bb28

HWInfo64: https://gyazo.com/cd5cf3f446eedd6146c4997afeca7aec

I take this to mean the airflow in my case is just bad... makes sense to me since I removed the top fan which was probably contributing to a lot of the airflow in my case. I only have 3 stock 120mm fans going at the moment. 2 towards the front and one exhaust at the back of the case. Maybe re-orienting the front 2 so they pull air through the front of the case, rather than the side, could help?

Also, I guess I could set a more aggressive fan curve on the fans attached to the radiator? My core temps never get that high so those fans never ramp up to help clear heat out of the case. They are installed in a push configuration at the moment.

Or would it be best to just add another 120mm fan? I am also open to the option of replacing these 3 stock 120mm's with higher quality parts.

Your advice?

Thanks for the help.

- - - Updated - - -

Your temps look in line from what I have seen from some quick googling . Are you sure its the MB temp and not the VRM ?

No, I am not too sure of anything. I was just going off the reading in HWInfo labeled: Motherboard. I don't exactly know what that is.

The "Mainboard" temps are a little high but not excessive, though AIDA64 is not a particularly intense stress tester. I wouldn't worry about it. There is also the option of placing small spot fans to blow on the heatsink covering the VRM area.

For future reference, please don't supply links to pics but attach the pics themselves with your posts. There is a built in tool for doing this. Click on the Go Advanced button at the lower right corner of any new post window and then Manage Attachments and it will be obvious how to use it from there.

The "Mainboard" temps are a little high but not excessive, though AIDA64 is not a particularly intense stress tester. I wouldn't worry about it. There is also the option of placing small spot fans to blow on the heatsink covering the VRM area.

For future reference, please don't supply links to pics but attach the pics themselves with your posts. There is a built in tool for doing this. Click on the Go Advanced button at the lower right corner of any new post window and then Manage Attachments and it will be obvious how to use it from there.

Sorry. I wasn't thinking when I posted the pictures, probably isn't a good idea to give random links on a new account on a forum site I just signed up for. Noted.

As for moving forward, you said that wasn't a very good stress test so I ran OCCT Linpack for about 8 minutes and the mainboard temp started pushing towards 80 and I stopped it because I'm a big scaredy-cat.

So, this is the VRM's collecting heat (I'm learning about this stuff as I go....) Basically the 4+2 phase of my board's VRM don't handle the voltage I'm putting through it very well? Could you recommend something specific as far as "spot fans" go? I tried googling some stuff, but wasn't quite sure what you were referring to.

Simple test before you buy any thing Take the side panel off then put a house fan pointing into the case . Plz try that and post results .

Simple test before you buy any thing Take the side panel off then put a house fan pointing into the case . Plz try that and post results .

Great Advice. When you go water cooling, you still need airflow in your case for other components. Doing this simple test here is literally the best and cheapest test to verify if its insufficient airflow. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-20-in-3-Speed-Box-Fan-3733/100405665 (2500 CFM, literally higher than any pc fan you will find.)

Back