• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High pitch Squeal! Mobo squealing!, Power Supply Squeals!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walnojxb

Hello;

I just bought a new case and motherboard and as the title states: I am experiencing a high pitch squeal coming from the power supply area. I suppose it could be the video card as well. All my parts are from another setup I had in a older antec case. So the only thing that is completely new in this setup is the motherboard and case.

Everything worked fine on my older board (m2n-e) and case. Since the only thing that is new is the motherboard and case I believe it is the motherboard. The power supply is also new (3 wks old). I still have some time left for 30 day exchange on both the power supply and motherboard so I can get an exchange if I need too.

P.S. if it is the videocard, I could send back. purchased on 1-28-09 from newegg. (hopefully not videocard)

Also to rule out any noise coming from any fans or external devices, I unplugged all fans and hard drives, optical drives and still heard the squeal.

Thanks for any replies.

Try using a different PCIe power connection, or an adaptor off of one of your 4-pin molex connectors if you have such an adaptor. My 4850 makes a high pitched squeal if I boot the system without the 6-pin connector attached, perhaps the PCIe cable on your PSU is not making a connection?

Try using a different PCIe power connection, or an adaptor off of one of your 4-pin molex connectors if you have such an adaptor. My 4850 makes a high pitched squeal if I boot the system without the 6-pin connector attached, perhaps the PCIe cable on your PSU is not making a connection?

Thank you for your quick reply. That is an interesting suggestion. I will try that tonight. Thanks.

Hello;

I just bought a new case and motherboard and as the title states: I am experiencing a high pitch squeal coming from the power supply area. I suppose it could be the video card as well. All my parts are from another setup I had in a older antec case. So the only thing that is completely new in this setup is the motherboard and case.

Everything worked fine on my older board (m2n-e) and case. Since the only thing that is new is the motherboard and case I believe it is the motherboard. The power supply is also new (3 wks old). I still have some time left for 30 day exchange on both the power supply and motherboard so I can get an exchange if I need too.

P.S. if it is the videocard, I could send back. purchased on 1-28-09 from newegg. (hopefully not videocard)

Also to rule out any noise coming from any fans or external devices, I unplugged all fans and hard drives, optical drives and still heard the squeal.

Thanks for any replies.

*UPDATE*

I forgot to mention the reason I suspect the mobo, is when I plug my headphones into the headphone jack on my case I hear electrical interference.

I'm wondering if messing around with (enabling/disabling) the spread spectrum clocks might solve your problem... they're mostly used to reduce EMI for FCC testing AFAIK, but I could see it serving another purpose to shift the frequencies around to eliminate component interference. Maybe it's an insane idea, or maybe it's worth a try? :screwy:

Sounds like a bad cap or an over strained PSU to me. However my OCZ power supply has done the same thing since the second I plugged it in, and it is still going strong. I do not have any noise coming through the speakers though.

I'm wondering if messing around with (enabling/disabling) the spread spectrum clocks might solve your problem... they're mostly used to reduce EMI for FCC testing AFAIK, but I could see it serving another purpose to shift the frequencies around to eliminate component interference. Maybe it's an insane idea, or maybe it's worth a try? :screwy:

I'm going to keep this as a possibility. I will try and see if it helps. Although I have heard that it could make my comp less stable with regards to overclocking. This would defeat the purpose of this board, which is the reason I bought it was for it's oc potential. I will try it and let ya know.

It's a squeal, or a whine? A High pitch whine, barely audible, is generally electrical.

Good question. Never really broke it down like that. If I can come up with a way to record the sound without too much background noise I will try to make a sample of it. Not sure how I can do it but I will try something. One thing I know is it's not extremely loud. As long as there is normal conversation or general background noise it's not to noticeable. Problem is, I usually game at night with headphones when the house is quite. When I take my headphones off, and walk across the room, I can definitely hear it. I guess my ears are sensitive, but it is enough to make me dissapointed.

I'm really starting to lean towards just ripping the power supply out and exchanging it at my comp store while I still have time. I read on another post that it could very well be the motherboard itself that is causing my problem. So why not just replace the motherboard?

Well, here is my thinking: if I can go through 2 power supplies and do a video card swap with my kids comp (radeon hd 3850) and the problem still persists; then I would have no doubt that it is the motherboard.

Again, I hope not, as I am really looking forward to some overclocking to see what this baby can do. Especially since I have future plans to throw a Phenom II in this puppy to complete my 'Dragon Platform'.

I did lot's of research before buying, and not once did I see anybody complaing about this problem. Oh well somebody has to be first sometimes.

Anyway, I've got some prep to do. I will post my findings and hope that if anyone else discovers this problem that they can benefit some how from my experiences.:shrug:

it could actually be the PSU fan if its sqeaking, whining is electrical as MARCI said, you can actually take the psu out and plug everything in , stop the fan ( if possible) and if it stops, its the fan .....if it continues , its something else

it could actually be the PSU fan if its sqeaking, whining is electrical as MARCI said, you can actually take the psu out and plug everything in , stop the fan ( if possible) and if it stops, its the fan .....if it continues , its something else

Ok, what the heck I'll try that. Since my case has a bottom mount for the power supply I could physically move it outside the case as you suggest and leave everything plugged in. Then If it is the power supply this should draw or move any electrical interfence away from the motherboard, also with the power supply outside the case maybe I can place my ear much closer to help pinpoint the problem. This just might work.

I'll will try tonight...wish me luck!:D

Ok, I took the power supply out of the case and set it aside with all the main power cords still connected. I booted the system and placed my ear next to the re-positioned power supply. Sure enough, I could hear the whiny noise coming from the power suppply.

I took the psu back to the comp store exchanged it for a new one, went home plugged it in outside the case. I powered up the system and placed my ear next to the psu and the noise was still there.

At this point I'm thinking no doubt about it, it has to be the motherboard. So I called the comp store and talked to a manager. He said If I wanted to try a different brand maybe that would work. I said sure why not. Went to the store picked up a Antec 850w psu, went home plugged it in, and there it was again.

So the only possible components left that it could be has to be mobo, videocard, or maybe cpu hsf. I have my doubts on the videocard and cpu hsf as they were in my previous system which had no problems til I bought this new mobo and case.

Oh well, looks like I am headed for a mobo replacement this weekend. Tomorrow evening, just for grins, I am going to swap videocards with my other comp. It has a radeon hd 3850. This will be just one more thing to rule out. If it is my videocard, I think I still have a week left for rma w/newegg.

It would be a shame if it is the mobo since I have read many good reviews. If anyone would like to recommend a different board to complete my dragon platform. I will take suggestions. I am looking for northbridge 790fx w/ a southbridge 750.

You've got the best board so if it's creating the problem it's probably a fluke and should be exchanged. Even with ASUS there can be an occassional flaw, damage during shipping, etc. ... :)

You've got the best board so if it's creating the problem it's probably a fluke and should be exchanged. Even with ASUS there can be an occassional flaw, damage during shipping, etc. ... :)

Agreed, I'm not giving up on Asus just yet. I'm taking the board back today and will rebuild this weekend. I work tomorrow so I will have to scatter my time.

This time, I am going to test the board before I mount it in the case. This should be easy since this board has built in power and reset switches (nice feature).

Wish me luck...

I think he means a real high-pitched sound you can hear that sounds like a CRT TV, when on.

squeal=real high-pitched sound like a CRT TV.

I had a PSU do that before and gotten rid of it, because of that. LOL.

I think he means a real high-pitched sound you can hear that sounds like a CRT TV, when on.

squeal=real high-pitched sound like a CRT TV.

I had a PSU do that before and gotten rid of it, because of that. LOL.

i take a squeal like a belt rubbing , or slipping. =]

Agreed, I'm not giving up on Asus just yet. I'm taking the board back today and will rebuild this weekend. I work tomorrow so I will have to scatter my time.

This time, I am going to test the board before I mount it in the case. This should be easy since this board has built in power and reset switches (nice feature).

Wish me luck...

Does anyone know or have any tips on testing outside the case. I guess this could be considered an 'external build'.

Also, in order to rule out any noise from external components, I wish to power this board up outside the case. So I will want to hook up just the bare minimum cables and connections. If I am correct: the minimum connections I will have to make are; cpu hsf, ram, mobo 24 pin, and mobo 12v (8pin). Am I missing anything? I tried this last night on my old board and it seemed to be ok (aside from the squeal noise).

Back