• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

high temps, whats going on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Moving your core around might not be enough...hold it with the outlet side up and "spank" it a few times. Waterflow will sometimes hold air pockets in place pretty well.

Something doesn't seem quite right...kinked tubeing maybe? Look closely wherever the tubing bends.

At stock speeds, it would seem your water should only be about 5-8Cabove ambient, and your cpu temp has an even higher difference (though socket temp monitors just plain suck).

Try again bud. I hope you get it solved.

no tubing is kinked...

To confirm the accuracy of my on-board temp probe, i have stuck my own "compunurse" temp probe directly under the cpu by passing it through the pins of the cpu.

What i found was quite surprising...

The temperature readings are quite accurate, onboard reads 43 degrees and the temp probe reads 43.9

I am now running 13.5 x 133 and the 44 degree temperature reading is on idle, not load, i will now test the load temperature.

There are NO kinks in my tubing, and i have yet to "smack my -radiator- up", these high temps are quite strange....

i just remembered

my TC-4 Is ABSOLUTELY UNLAPPED!!!

Does lapping really should a 10C difference? because thats what im experiencing, my temps should be 10C lower....

Would it even matter if i lapped it? Shouldt the Cyramique fill in any little hole in the heatsink if its unlapped?

i think if your heater core is warm to the touch it means it's not getting cooled by the fan (not powerfull enough) and/or there's still air in your system somewhere.
But if your getting high temps and your heater core is cool it would be your WB not seated properly. Also with the 1/2 ID pipes 1/8 wall you have to get the lengths accurate not to short or too long otherwise it pulls your WB from sitting flat on your cpu core

Ok in the past week ive taken apart my system piece by piece, i blew out 10 pounds of dust out of the radiator, i widned the exaust from the radiator, etc etc etc.

Now im getting the same temps, but the radiator is not warm to the touch, i guess its the block, but i doubt it because the thermal stuff shows full contact when i take it off (full square on the waterblock)

Now that you have your water temp down, it's time to focus on the waterblock.

First, it's the TC-4 with the poly top? Looks nice and clean inside, right? If not, remove it and fill it with ketchup or salt/vinegar for an hour or so, flush very well and reinstall.

Second, your TIM joint. The thermal goop you're using should be applied very thinly. I've found if I use a bit too much, that temps are 5-10 C higher than if I use just a (nearly transparent) smudge on the waterblock's base.

Third, smoothness of the block. Have you lapped it? Couldn't hurt to do it again. This will create problem two on it's own if the block is concave, the goop will "wander" in towards the center of the contact space. Ideal contact is flat level and even over the entire cpu core.

Fourth, contact pressure. Some blocks are sent with just plain lame springs that don't hold the block against the cpu very well. Try tightening it down a bit more, but don't bend your motherboard too much.

That should help, and keep you busy for a while. :D

Back