• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uneven/High Core temps with i7 - 860 and h80i (help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

john30807

I recently replaced a low end air cooler on my 1156 board with the h80i. I'm aware of the spacing issue, and possible need to add rubber washers. I did not have any laying around, so I put it on and hoped for the best. I figured i'd give the stock TIM a try, have heard good and bad things about it.

My temps are lower by about 10 degrees in day to day application (running stock at 2.8 ghz, from about 50 to 40 degrees). When overclocking I get huge temp spikes above 70 degrees while stress testing (at only 3.8 ghz, 1.2v vcore, 1.6v imc), but only on one core.

Before Oc'ing i figure I need to find the source of this problem. I assume a bad temp sensor, or perhaps a more "worn" core (Iassume this core is the turbo boost main core, although it is labeled core 2.

This is the result of a RealTemp sensor test running everything at stock, fans in performance mode. I've got 2 cores running my target temps, and the other two 5 to 10 degrees above!

The cooler bracket felt loose, but when fully installed i cannot make the cooler plate budge. Is this a TIM spreading issue? I used the stock pad, but installed correctly, and have never seen such a large temp differential between cores due to TIM application), a loose bracket issue (i doubt but possible), or just my cpu getting old, or sensors sticking? I'm hoping it is just a sensor problem, as I had hopes of a 4.0 ghz oc to make this rig last another couple of years. Any input is appreciated!

Another note, cpu-z seems to read my cpu runnin at 3.5 ghz from turbo boost x26 multiplier at .9v, while real temp is at no load showing a totally different clock speed. Whats up? :)

Attachments

• JxSQtVq.jpg
    JxSQtVq.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 184
I've been told it is probably incorrect pump mounting. The h80i pump rad really only mounts one way in my case, with hoses on the bottome, on the back where the exhaust fan used to be. i use the push pull h80i as an intake now, and flipped my two fron facing fans to blow out. Also, upon leaving the computer at a certain speed for an extended time (netflix binge, idle, the temps start to even out. But even upon opening realtemp at cold boot (it was 50 C in my room this morning) i get an instant temp read about 40c then it drops in line. I've noticed core 0 and 2 are the offenders, and with 2 and 4 being stellar, secondary cores in the architecture of the chip (windows hasnt been using them most of the time the past 5 years, I Very Strongly suspect simple aging of cores and a stuck sensor. I will adjust for that sensor disparity and move on with my life, as even stress testing at 3.8 ghz, i see no noticable slowdown and do not thermal throttle if just that one core is hitting 84. Yea it may only last another 3 years instead of 5. I can work with that. Unless im completely wrong :p

how did you apply your TIM? From what you have said it almost sounds like that could be the culprit. i would go get some of the GOOD STUFF and try reseating it. i tend to apply it spreading it evenly over the cpu with an old credit card then take the excess and make a rice grain in the middle. then when i amd tightening down the cooler give it a twist a couple of times. thats how i treat my gaming rig and daily driver my bench rig just gets a blob and a twist lol.

Back