• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hitachi 2tb 5k3000 $70 shipped AMIR ($10)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can you guys give opinions on whether this hitachi deal or this Samsung deal would be a better option?

I read info from someone that the samsung drives are having firmware issues or something. I just like that the samsungs are $70 with no rebate.

The hitachi is the same speed or faster depending on what speed measurements you are looking at

Source: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036786099&postcount=2

Also the Samsungs currently have a firmware issue that can lead to data corruption. There is a fix but there is still debate going on about if the fix truly works just like there was with seagate and the 7200.11.

Read for yourself here: http://hardforum.com//showthread.php?t=1566067

Basically my take on this is that the Samsung has undeniable problems, that may or may not have been fixed, where as the Hitachi has none thus far so I would go for the Hitachi hands down. If I where to get the Samsung and patch it I would still be worried about my data. I had quite a few 7200.11 1.5tb drives in the past and even after patching I was quite worried about data loss until I sold off the drives and refuse to go through a similar situation again but that's just me.

Edit: the issue with the Hitachi is that they are new so problems may show up down the road

Last edited:
+1 to everything he said.....I ran the firmware update on my F4s but I'm not using them in my primary array. Hitachi has been about the best drive for large sata raid arrays and I doubt that will change at all with this new line of drives.

arrr, this sucks. So I decided on the hitachi's, got wife approval (important step) and now they are up to $99 :(

Any reason not to go with a Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB? They are $79 shipped right now. I'll either be using Win7 or worst case Vista with it so I wouldn't think the Advanced Format would be an issue for me, right?

I have two of the ears in my WHS. So long as you don't plan on using hardware raid they are good drives and I see no reason not to recommend them. They generally go for $100 with occasional sales at $80 so the price is good on them as well. IIRC they are slower then both the Samsung, which again I wouldn't recommend, and this hitachi. However all of them are fast enough for storage drives where speed doesn't matter all that much.

Back