• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hoping nothing is wrong

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Well guys, My Intel Core I5 2500k and MSI Z68A-GA65 arrived today. I am typing on it right now.

One thing that concerned me was a startup beep code, one followed by three short beeps. Also, on the bottom right I got the post of 88 78 88 A3. Not sure what that all means, and wanted an opinion if everything is ok. Doing updates now to see if the issue gets resolved.

Starts up fine, temps are good, Nothing seems out of the ordinary, Speed is phenomenal.

No vid card driver installed as of yet, but dx diag shows it only having 368 mb of approx memory...Geforce GTX 260

_____ __ __ __ is usually "I am unhappy with these RAM settings".
Make sure your RAM is seated correctly, go into bios and either set it to XMP, or as Earthdog will tell you, don't set it to XMP and just enter the main timings (ie, 9 9 9 28) and the voltage (ie, 1.6V) as specd on your RAM in the bios.

Ah, Reseated ram, still does it. I'm not used to the UFI interface, and its supposedly running to spec on CPU-Z with the exception of the CL. Its rated for 8,8,8,24, its running at 9,9,9,28. I'll post screenies in a few after windows update.

Heres a quick rendition: 800 mhz shown on cpuz. if its like ddr2, then that means its running at 2400????

Please post CPU-z screen tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD"

Also, what's you're ram voltage set to?

1.5, Default.

Here are the screenies
cpu-zmemory.png

Edit: Forgot the cpu o_O

Cpu-Zcpu.png

I just noticed it defaulted to 1T, Not sure how to change that to the XMP profile settings in this new interface...its so different.

Also, When it starts up it says "cannot detect Hard Drive." Yet after a second, it starts up fine. It did that to me on my old 775 setup too. Bad HDD?

That CPU-Z of the cpu is stepped down, obviously. It runs at 3.7 when a game is running.

Last edited:
Your CR (Command Rate) needs to be set to 1T instead of 2T at those timings.

Attachments

• CR.JPG
    CR.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 53
it IS set to 1T. The middle tab is the current settings.

What you prolly meant was set it to 2T. Idk how with this new UFI interface, its a bit different on the settings.

Edit: goin to bed, AC repair man is comin tomorrow, hopefully by then I'll have this figured out.

I tried to research the A3 error code, found nothing. Asked my friend who knows the codes by heart, said nothing to really worry about. I'm not worried, its running just fine, I'm just frusterated that it wasn't a "no-hassle" install.

Last edited:
it IS set to 1T. The middle tab is the current settings.

What you prolly meant was set it to 2T. Idk how with this new UFI interface, its a bit different on the settings.

Just go to advanced mode it's the same just different coat of paint. It's usually in DRAM Timing settings in Aitweaker on Asus. On gigabyte it'd be under MIT.
Dunno on MSI but it's in there.

Yeah, I meant to say it should be set to 2T. Sorry, I was very tired and brain dead when I typed that last night. You may need to change from "Auto" mode to manal to see those timings in bios.

Roger that, trying it now. also, it wasnt just ___ __ __ __

I noticed it was actually ____ __ _ _ __

Not sure if thats a major difference, Ram still isn't running what its supposed to run at, so going to try 2T now.

Edit: Started up fine with 2T set in. What was confusing is that it had two sets of options. , Command Rate, Command Rate 2(for example) All of the options are doubled. Gave both of em the same settings just to make sure.

Discovered what it is. IDE bug in mobo Its just annoying that it does it. My mobo doesn't even HAVE an IDE connector.

Last edited:
Reseated it, no avail. Still saying "Passthough IDE, PCI-E X1(None of the x1 slots are populated.)

I tried changing the slot used too, again, no avail.

T.T

Error code A3. going to try using onboard to see if i get the A6 error code.

Woops, sorry for double post

Yep, Onboard gives the A6 error. Still boots up fine.

Last edited:
It's not hindering anything. Everything works fine, smooth, fast.

Edit: Just got a reply from MSI stating that the beep sequence is normal, indicating plugged in devices. To test, I unplugged everything except the power, monitor, and internet cable(power cable too, but that doesn't count.), and one long followed by two short. I'm assuming that means Video card as long, and other two being the short beeps. I have two USB devices, which were the super quick beepsx2 I heard.

All is well.

Last edited:
Back