• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delete this post please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Ok, So now that I have determined what the odd startup beeps were(in one of my other posts in general) ___ __ _ _ __ was simply telling me I had two USB devices plugged in.(two super short beeps) Here comes the question of interest.

I don't get a splash screen when i start. I get the "Marvell screen with bios version" which then tells me some stuff about PCI-E X1 5.0 Gbps, something about IDE, and to press space to continue. I'm sure its fine, but I get no splash screen, Nothing to indicate when to *press delete to go into bios/Post* After some finagling, I spammed the del key after the marvell screen and got into the new EFI. Here is where confusion sets in.

My face when there are GAMES you can play ON the EFI drivers...

Anyways, On to the important stuff. I'm not sure what ACHI mode will do for the SATA ports, its running as IDE atm, and I don't want to change anything without a second opinion from someone with experience. other than that, RAID is available. I'm not selecting RAID, as I don't have two HDD's, but was wondering what ACHI would do. Is it the new SRT? The only stuff i used to dabble in back in the day was cpu FSB settings, and Ram timings.

On to the new tech. Virtu. It has two modes, both of which are a conundrum. I-Mode, and D-Mode. supposedly, D-mode is the better of the two, but was wondering if I should enable it at all with my GTX 260 as dedicated.

Would I change any settings other than enabling it?

Also, from what I read, it causes a drop in FPS, even if by only one Frame due to Syncing. That being said, What does it bring to the table really? I've read up on it so much, and decided to get Z68...

On to the dreaded marvell controller. I don't use any Sata III devices as of yet, and was wondering if I could disable the controller to see if i can get that startup screen to disappear, and an actual splash screen to appear.

Any insight to this?

Motherboard is MSI Z68A-GD65, cpu is Intel Core I5 2500k.

extra info: startup takes approxamately 31 seconds, with 12 of it being before the "beep code" Using an old 7200 rpm 250gb WD caviar, so i wasn't expecting mega fast startup times.

Did some benchmarking on vantage, got a P score of 10547. Processor score was 17322.(They say it should be at 18300, but it only kicked up to 3.565, not the full 3.7

Last edited:
AHCI mode has 3 main advantages:
Supports NCQ (Native Command Queuing) allowing SATA drives to accept more thanone command at a time and dynamically reorder the commands for maximumefficiency. Supports hot plugging of devices.

in my understanding D mode is connecting to your Discrete graphics card I mode is your intergrated Intel graphics.

I always turn off the marvel controllers unless I am running Raid primarily to get rid of the marvel config screens

Ok, So now that I have determined what the odd startup beeps were(in one of my other posts in general) ___ __ _ _ __ was simply telling me I had two USB devices plugged in.(two super short beeps) Here comes the question of interest.

I don't get a splash screen when i start. I get the "Marvell screen with bios version" which then tells me some stuff about PCI-E X1 5.0 Gbps, something about IDE, and to press space to continue. I'm sure its fine, but I get no splash screen, Nothing to indicate when to *press delete to go into bios/Post* After some finagling, I spammed the del key after the marvell screen and got into the new EFI. Here is where confusion sets in.

My face when there are GAMES you can play ON the EFI drivers...

Anyways, On to the important stuff. I'm not sure what ACHI mode will do for the SATA ports, its running as IDE atm, and I don't want to change anything without a second opinion from someone with experience. other than that, RAID is available. I'm not selecting RAID, as I don't have two HDD's, but was wondering what ACHI would do. Is it the new SRT? The only stuff i used to dabble in back in the day was cpu FSB settings, and Ram timings.

On to the new tech. Virtu. It has two modes, both of which are a conundrum. I-Mode, and D-Mode. supposedly, D-mode is the better of the two, but was wondering if I should enable it at all with my GTX 260 as dedicated.

Would I change any settings other than enabling it?

Also, from what I read, it causes a drop in FPS, even if by only one Frame due to Syncing. That being said, What does it bring to the table really? I've read up on it so much, and decided to get Z68...

On to the dreaded marvell controller. I don't use any Sata III devices as of yet, and was wondering if I could disable the controller to see if i can get that startup screen to disappear, and an actual splash screen to appear.

Any insight to this?

Motherboard is MSI Z68A-GD65, cpu is Intel Core I5 2500k.

extra info: startup takes approxamately 31 seconds, with 12 of it being before the "beep code" Using an old 7200 rpm 250gb WD caviar, so i wasn't expecting mega fast startup times.

Did some benchmarking on vantage, got a P score of 10547. Processor score was 17322.(They say it should be at 18300, but it only kicked up to 3.565, not the full 3.7

Back