• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hosting your own DNS, creating sub domains

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

Anyone here know DNS well?

we have 2 DNS servers hosted in our office, since we have AD/DC, just the standard Server 2008 DNS installation.

We have a url (abc123.com, to which we have pointed to dynip.com to do url redirection for subdomains.

sub01.abc123.com points to 1.1.1.1/htdocs/reports
sub02.abc123.com points to 1.1.1.1/htdocs/purdypics

their customer response time has been less then stellar since their client application does not let you direct a subdomain to a directory URL, only a direct IP, it has been one week to redirect a URL we have to a new directory, with no response and i cant tolerate that.

We have many directory based sites on the same server we use for reporting.

How can i go about redirecting one of our domains to our own DNS servers and then create our own subdomains and point them where i want them to go?

Seems the solution is just use a A record on the reg. site and point to my webserver and go from there, not sure why i was thinking i needed DNS..lol

Back