• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I disable 0RPM mode in Polaris vBIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pqwoerituytruei

I put a arctic cooling cooler on my card, since the fans are near silent even at full speed i would like to get rid of 0 RPM and give it a reasonable fan curve

Oddly HWinfo reports 0 RPM cause 0 rpm mode is enabled, however the fan does not support 0rpm mode so the fan spins, but hwinfo assumes it is not cause of 0rpm mode

once i get my VRM fan hooked up the 0rpm mode will be a issue, i want a little air flow even on idle to keep the capacitors nice and cool to make them last longer

u24EFbX.png

here is my vBIOS: https://www.mediafire.com/file/59h60gafhqy41sz/gigabyte_RX_580.zip/file

the stock vbios seems to not support UEFI, how can i fix that?

I think you are looking a little too deep into the results of these changes (VRM lasts longer), etc...Intel VRMs especially on that board in your signature and your overclock, won't need it.

Note, you create a fan curve with software (like MSI Afterbunrer)? Just have it start minimized. BIOS editing can bork the card. Not worth it for most to try, in particular when you have a just as effective software solution available. Apologies I do not know how to do it via bios edits.

"especially on that board in your signature" I very much disagree that VRM sucks, well the 'heat sync' does that thing overheats and crashes at 2 hours prime95 with almost any OC
all-ready bricked it and fixed it once so far, i could not reflash till i rebooted and then i needed a second gpu so i pulled out a GT 520
** That board is a AsRock Z97 K1ller w/ a i5-4690k, about to update sig

i want the fan profile to be cross platform, the fan just runs 1100-1300 as it is now

"especially on that board in your signature" I very much disagree that VRM sucks, well the 'heat sync' does that thing overheats and crashes at 2 hours prime95 with almost any OC
all-ready bricked it and fixed it once so far, i could not reflash till i rebooted and then i needed a second gpu so i pulled out a GT 520
** That board is a AsRock Z97 K1ller w/ a i5-4690k, about to update sig

i want the fan profile to be cross platform, the fan just runs 1100-1300 as it is now
?????? I didn't say it sucks... at all. ?????

What do you mean, "cross platform"? Software will do the job.

you said "etc...Intel VRMs especially on that board in your signature"

I want the fan to behave in linux and anything else i boot

you said "etc...Intel VRMs especially on that board in your signature"

I want the fan to behave in linux and anything else i boot
Right...that doesn't say, or infer, they suck. In fact, quite the oppostite. I was saying that are solid on that board that WAS in your signature (and solid on the updated system). I was talking overall about VRM life expectancy. Just making sure you are basing your actions on facts and not myth's and placebos. ;)

I wouldn't worry about the motherboard VRMs, in other words.

And to get back on subject, I'd just use software fan curves for the GPU.

That vrm is not up for overclocking without a fan on it, i eventually found out when i touch the side of my case and it was stupid hot after i had it crashing, i was very frustrated as none of my OCing would pass stable, though my old mobo's vrm is not what i am working with here

I think i figured out why fan control is not working right, the card thinks there is a ~3000 rpm fan installed, if i use a LNA with my vrm fan i should be able to get reasonable out if it
fan control will not allow below 60% speed, so i can use 60-100 %, but the fan supports down to 20%
guess the editor is incomplete

VRM's get stupid hot. Most are good to well over 100C... so keep that mind.

Good find on that. Let us know how it works out! :)

I know VRMs get silly hot, but that heat is bad for the caps and is causing my m.2 to throttle, buti do not have my vrm fan installed yet, it got late and i wanted to eat so i figured it would be fine for light use and i tested heaven to see how hot it was gonna get

Are we back to talking about your GPU? LOL, because it causes your M.2 to overheat, not the VRMs on the mobo. :p

Sounds like once his gpu kicks in everything gets hot, or everything is just getting hot. Does it do the same thing with the side panel off?

The SSD is a corsair MP500, the thing just idles at silly high temps 65-67C without direct airflow, it hit 79C and the system started to feeeze up, so i jury rigged a fan to blow on it to cool it down
I just finished getting my VRM fan mounted and making a pair of DIY cables (made one cable and replacing a plug on another)
hopefully that will get the heat off the vrm in a different place so the SSD does not get so dam hot
while i was at it it took the heat spreading sticker off the SSD and put a heat sync on the controller

@EarthDog the motherboard vrm is off topic, sorry for confusing you getting you to think i have having a issues while using my old hardware that is not installed

"the stock vbios seems to not support UEFI, how can i fix that?"

Does the video card have a dual bios switch? My Sapphire Nitro Rx580 has a switch on the top edge of the card just forward of the I/O bracket that enables you to switch from normal to a high performance mode. When switched to the high performance mode I cannot use UEFI mode in bios and the bios tells me it isn't detecting vBios. If I run the bios in legacy mode when the switch is in that position, no problem. Now, I bought this card used and I suspect it was used in bitcoin mining so the performance mode vBios may have been tampered with so I'm not sure if the effect I am describing is normal but when I read the above comment in your first post it rung a bell in my mind.

Also, I see from you Sig that you have overclocked your Corsair RAM from 3200 mhz to 3800 mhz. Are you sure that is stable? That is an unusually high overclock on a brand of RAM that often gives compatibility problems on the Ryzen platform.

Micron Rev E, The stuff OCs great until you try to push the timings low

since bios card, managed to brick it twice so far, had to get out my GT 520 and a DVI to hdmi cable
i think i said that already, if it had dual vbios i would not have bricked the card
* probably bricked cause of a driver issue, should be fixed now that i ran ddu

if it was using for mining open the rom up in a vbios editor and check the clock speeds if they are wrong grab a bios from techpowerup, if it does not work boot with the other bios clip the switch while running and flash it with a different vbios
there is a chance it will work but have issues, make sure gpu-z shows all the vram and not 0 after you flash it

Micron Rev E, The stuff OCs great until you try to push the timings low

since bios card, managed to brick it twice so far, had to get out my GT 520 and a DVI to hdmi cable
i think i said that already, if it had dual vbios i would not have bricked the card
* probably bricked cause of a driver issue, should be fixed now that i ran ddu

if it was using for mining open the rom up in a vbios editor and check the clock speeds if they are wrong grab a bios from techpowerup, if it does not work boot with the other bios clip the switch while running and flash it with a different vbios
there is a chance it will work but have issues, make sure gpu-z shows all the vram and not 0 after you flash it

Thank you. I went onto Tech Powerup and got the tools to flash that alternate bios. I had never flashed a vbios before so this was a new experience for me. Anyway, it worked to restore both the higher clock profile and the ability to boot from UEFI bios.

Be careful with BIOS flashing GPUs... if you do not know what you are doing, it could bork the card.

There are literally DOZENS of threads started at TPU just for that reason. ;)

flashing a card with dual BIOS is extremely easy to recover, and recovering one without it is easiest is you have 2 PCIe slots and a second GPU (integrated graphics can be used)
as i said i have bored the card twice so far, luckily i have a GT 520 and a DVI to HDMI cable

Be careful with BIOS flashing GPUs... if you do not know what you are doing, it could bork the card.

There are literally DOZENS of threads started at TPU just for that reason. ;)

I realize this but in this case there was nothing to lose since it was a dual bios card with one bios chip working as it should and the other having been apparently corrupted by a previous owner. It took me three tries to get the right ROM file since Sapphire used more than one Hynix IC in these cards. But all's well that ends well. I have stress tested the flashed bios and it is stable.

Of course, if there are two BIOS' the likelihood of things going wrong is greatly reduced. Many also do not have another GPU laying around either....

I'm simply putting out a PSA for BIOS flashing your GPU in general. So many people try to do this and potato their cards it's scary........ :)

Back