• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8700k stressing w/ P95 I get a IA: Electrical Design throttle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leyo

Registered
Hello,

I made my first pc and so it's the first time for me overclocking, I read and watched many guides so I know the basics.

Specs:

-I7 8700K delidded

-MSI Z370 Gaming pro Carbon

-Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz CL15

-Schythe Fuma Rev. b

-Bitfenix whisper M 650w

-Silverstone RL 06 GP

These are my overclock settings in bios with the latest update, if not here they are at default setting:

-CPU Ratio: 51 (all cores)

-CPU Ratio mode: Dynamic

-CPU Ratio Offset When Running AVX: 0

-Enhanced Turbo: Enabled

-XMP: Enabled

-Memory Fast Boot: Disabled

-CPU Loadline Calibration Control: Mode 5

-CPU Over Current Protection: 150%

-CPU Core Voltage Mode: Adaptive

-CPU Voltages control: 1.4V

-Long Duration Power Limit (W): 4096 (max)

-Short Duration Power Limit (W): 4096 (max)

-FCLK Frequency: 1000Mhz

WIndows power plan: Balanced

I'm using HWinfo64 to monitor everything

When I run RealBench all my cores clock at 5.1Ghz stable with 51x multiplier stable. Average CPU temp is 71C with max 75C, MOS 61C max 65C (consider my cpu and system fans are at around 75%). Vcore is at 1.400/1.408V. I don't have any type of throttle.

Instead when I run Prime95 small FFT: CPU temps are the same, MOS is 83C (I could use a higher fan curve if it's too hot), core clocks are 4.8Ghz and Vcore is 1.288/1.296V

These two HWinfo throttle indicators are on yes when I torture test with P95:

-IA: Electrical Design Point/Other (ICCmax, PL4, SVID,DDR, RAPL)

-RING: Max VR Voltage, ICCmax, PL4 (I didn't touch anything ring related, running at 4.4Ghz in auto)

What do I have to change in bios to don't get this throttles?

I don't know if it matters but my IO and SA voltages are set to auto and are 1.272V and 1.32V. I read somewhere that they are supposed to be lower.

Thanks for the help!

Look for power limits and current limits. Looks like you have the power limits.

IO and SA voltage are WAY high for 3000 mhz ram. I dont expect to need over stock at 3000 mhz.

What does Intel xtu say your throttling reason is? (Have it up and run a stress test)

XTU says Current Limit throttling.
CPU over current Protecion I already set it to 150%, max is 170%.
CPU current limit (a) is set to auto. The max is 256. What should I put?
Short and Long Duration Power Limit are already set to max (4096)
What should i set for IO and SA?

Thanks

Well...

170% and 256 seems logical...

IO and SA should be set around stock...that should be around 1V. You can check its stock values by resetting optimized defaults (disable xmp essentially) and checking the bios.

Is it safe to set current limit to the max?

thanks

Raising any limit above specs has its risks, as does overclocking..but this is how it's done, yeah.

There isn't one.
No reward without risk.
Your other option is back down your overclock.

I'm still stable on other stress tests and in Prime it doesn't crash, just runs at a lower clock

How much does Prime stable mean to you?
It runs at lower clock because it throttles.

Personally, if you can run your machine without throttling in everything you actually do daily on it, it's stable.
Stability is subjective to your own personal applications.

Mr. Earth Doggie will agree.

You guys are awesome!

Safe is subjective. One thing I did notice, maybe not relevant, EarthDog advised you to try lowering a couple of voltage settings. If those are stable at stock settings, this may decrease the current draw of the CPU and decrease throttling. I'm not sure though if the throttle is coming from a specific component or components in the CPU or the package as a whole.

Back