• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts on my first ever overclock (CPU, GPU, RAM)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leyo

Registered
Hello,

As I built my first pc I as well overclocked for the first time, I'm pretty proud about my results but of course I'm always open for suggestions from who knows better than me.

Specs:

-I7 8700K delidded

-MSI Z370 Gaming pro Carbon

-2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz CL15 (15-17-17-35 2T)

-RTX 2080 Asus Dual OC (1800Mhz core & 7000Mhz Memory)

-Schythe Fuma Rev. b

-Bitfenix whisper M 650w

-Silverstone RL 06 GP

CPU temperatures are after Realbench Stress test

Case, CPU fans are all running at about 60/70%. I could increase fan speed and get lower temps but I don't need it.

CPU:

5.1 Ghz at 1.4V (adaptive). No AVX offset. (Sometimes Vcore goes to 1.408V)

Temp: CPU: 72C max 77C / MOS: 60C

I had to increase core ICCMax to 217A to don't throttle from current limit.

I had to play a little bit in BIOS with Vcore and LCC to get a stable 1.4V when stress testing. Vcore: 1.395, LCC: mode 5

GPU temperatures are after running unigine heaven Benchmark Ultra at 4K.

Fans are at ~ 62%

GPU:

Core: 2040/2055Mhz (+145) / Memory: 7750Mhz (+750)

Temp: 66C max 67

This one is the easiest, first thing of course I turned Power draw to the max (120%), Vcore offset (%) is at 0

Memory:

3200Mhz at 1.392V

SA: 1.168V / IO: 1.152V

Timings: 14-17-17-32 / CT: 1T / Trfc: 500T

I'm really proud of this OC since I was reading that is probably the hardest (I din't touch secondiary and tertiary timings though). Although considering I paid 115€ for the sticks and similarry performing sticks are around 195€ I think I did a good job.

Should I OC the cache next? :D Currently at 4.4Ghz

Thanks to everybody who helped me in the process overclocking!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

-Trfc: 400

-Trefi: 50000

Cache: 4.8Ghz (from 4.4), same CPU temps, MOS is at 72C.

I had to dial down GPU core to 2040Mhz instead of 2055 since it wasn't fully stable.

Thanks for the tips

Last edited:
You are king:clap:
First ever overclock and already doing 1.4 vcore:D took me a while to touch that kind of voltage!

1.4 vcore would be the upper limit of what is considered safe voltage for 24/7 use. It's enough to maybe shorten the lifespan of the CPU a tad but you will have probably moved on to new technology before then. But the big picture is that you did very, very well on your overclock and were blessed with some pretty good silicon on top of that.

Good overclocking.:) The processor voltage is ok at 1.4v. My maximum voltage reported is 1.440v (adaptive) LLC AUTO.

Thank you!
I know, I can't complain about my silicon lottery

This is an outstanding CPU and overclock. I'm most impressed by how well your Scythe Fuma is keeping the CPU cool at those clocks and voltages. Possibly due to the delid I guess. I'm running my 8700K at 5.0Ghz with 1.385v (no AVX offset) and I frequently see 82° in long Handbrake sessions and I have a custom loop for my CPU.

Very well done Leyo.

Thank you!

People suggested me the fuma over che Noctua NH-D15 since they were performing the same but for way less, so for 5 days I tried to look at every single possibile benchmark that I could and ended up buying the Fuma used from Amazon. It was basically brand new except for 3 fins slightly bent that I fixed in 1 sec and there wasn't the thermal paste (not very good as well, so I didn't care, I used the noctua paste I already had at home).
Prices:
My fuma: 45€
New fuma: 55€ (really hard to find in Italy though)
NH-D15: 90€

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Oh I forgot to say it.
The case helps a lot with thermals, it's top rated in thermals in Gamernexus' benchmark.
I paid 90€ for it compared to 115 for corsair h500 (that has less airflow than this)

Back