• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I get a stock cooler from a card without buying the card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gotaro

I have a Galaxy GTX 750 Slim, but I need it to take up no more than a single slot to fit in my case, and the stock cooler is too tall. I've given up on searching for an aftermarket cooler that would be enough to cool this while still allowing the card to only take up one slot. It doesn't seem to exist. But there is a low profile HD 7750 by Sapphire that has a similar TDP as the GTX 750, so I'd like to try the 7750's cooler. I'll have to custom fit it to my card, but I'm out of other ideas at this point.

How can I go about getting a stock cooler from a card without actually buying the card? I've tried looking through ebay and craigslist for non-functional cards with coolers I could salvage, but there's nothing there.

I don't know if it matters, but the low profile R7 250 looks to have the same cooler.

Last edited:
From what I'm seeing, that card is a single slot card where it mounts to the case. Or are you saying the cooler is so tall that it takes up two slots?

From what I'm seeing, that card is a single slot card where it mounts to the case. Or are you saying the cooler is so tall that it takes up two slots?

Right, the cooler is too tall. I don't know what the point is of a "single slot" card that has a cooler that takes up an additional slot, but that's what it is. I've given up on this though and am just going to get a different case that has two expansion slots. FWIW, I tried to contact Sapphire and see if I could purchase the cooler separately, but they turned me down. I even tried a couple more times to see if I just wasn't asking the right questions, but they wouldn't budge.

Thanks for sharing. I looked for that cooler for a while too (unsuccessfully), but it didn't work out very well for them anyway (IMO). It wasn't able to adequately cool the card (I think the FirePro's TDP is only 50W, while the GTX 750 Ti's is 60W), so it was constantly having to throttle the power to maintain the 80C threshold. The hit to performance was something like 10% IIRC, so the article considered it a "success," but I personally wouldn't. (It's definitely a success for this new throttling technology though!) Also, the mount holes don't line up with the low profile version of the GTX 750 like they do with the reference card. I'm willing to custom fit the cooler, but I do want to be pretty sure it'll get the job done first.

Last edited:
Back