• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how close to ambient?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
i just replaced my stock amd cooler with a CM Hyper TX3. dropped my temps like 15° so happy with the purchase.

my question is about the temp drop between running the fan at 50% and 100%. i only get a 2°-3° when going from 50%rpm to 100%rpm. i would think it would be more.

ambient is about 21-22°. at 100% rpm cpu temps are about 26°-28°. i guess if i think about it, it's probably difficult to get closer to ambient temps. i'm not sure.

any thoughts?

You are pointing out the known facts really.

Cranking on fans really doesn't help a terrible amount, especially the 'stock' fans that come with a heatsink.

Its going to be impossible to get to ambient temps without having something cooler than ambient cooling things.

Without a coolant under your ambient temperature you won't achieve ambient temperatures. 26°C with 21°C is pretty good :)

+1 for ED and thermodynamics

Just to explain you the little effect of 50% RPM vs 100%

CPU Temp = Heatload / heattransfer-coefficient * Surface Area + Ambient Temp

Even while assuming a pretty big surface area it would be around 5*10^-³ m²
The variable changed by chaning your RPM is the heattransfer-coefficient, let's say it maxes out at 300 W/m²K for 100% RPM and is 150 W/m²K for 50%.
Heatload is 11W

A low CPU temperature is achieved by a big denominator.
Whether you use 150 or 300 times 5*10^-³ m² does not change that much.

Bear with me, I kept it simple, however I come to 30°C and 27°C for 50% RPM and 100% RPM :)

At low load/heat the heatpipes don't do their cooling cycle as fast as when there is more heat. And even at full load the fan speed often doesn't make a huge difference unless you are pushing the cooler toward it cooling limits.
I idle 27c @ 700rom and load 47c @ 1000rpm. If I unplug the fans it idles at 33c but load goes to 73c.. but raising the fan speed is only a few degrees cooler. Now if I was to overclock with more voltage added fan speed would make much more of a difference.

Back