• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOW DID I MISS THIS!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember when we were hunting for Voodoo 5 6000, when it was actually cheap. Every single card on auctions was broken. Now I see that all these old cards (not even anything as unique as Voodoo 5) cost a lot. On local auctions, there is one Voodoo 5 5500 for $1k.
I remember there was something like ATI Fury Maxx x4 or something with 4 GPUs. Now I can't even find it on the web, and the regular Maxx is 2-GPU.

Wow that is an annoying website but neat article. My last Voodoo was a 3, after that I switched to ATI for a while. I don't remember the external power supply but I would like to see that on modern cards if possible. Much less psu cable mess and cleaner look overall.

ironic how people called that a big card back in the day, now look at todays cards :D

Yeah, that's a pretty sexy custom PCB. Bummer about the PCI interface but I see why he did it.
Post magically merged:

the black PCB with copper heatsinks! then the fact he actually did back plates for the heatsinks. might be a bit overkill for that, but if your going to do it. DO IT RIGHT!
@#$% yeah. Engineering improvements!

Yeah, that's a pretty sexy custom PCB. Bummer about the PCI interface but I see why he did it.
Post magically merged:

@#$% yeah. Engineering improvements!
well the VSA is a PCI native so he would have to use a middle man as 3DFX did for AGP. i can not find the one off posts any more, one guy got a MAC labeled 5500. Swapped the bios to a PC version, i know sounds odd right? seems something in the bios for the MAC would not allow the PCI card to run in a regular pc back in the day. any way, the card on PCI buss actually had better performance then AGP due to the middle man translating to AGP from PCI.

If i remember correctly the V3's as well were native PCI and they used PCI to AGP controllers. yes, i do know for sure the VSA-100 chips on the V4/V5 are native PCI chips. that is why the card is PCI, he would have had to design it and then find the PCI to AGP controller chip for the board.

crap man, i just looked at prices for 3dfx hw on ebay. HOLY CRAP! i had some partially functioning V5 5500, makes me wish i had kept them. at the time i got rid of them, i did not know you could get VSA-100 chips. otherwise i would have looked for someone that could have replaced the chips.

Back