• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do dB add up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmigoThree

Well right now I am in the process of making everything in my computer under 28 dB so I might be able to sleep with it on at night then. But I was wonder how do decibles add up? Or don't they?

For simplicity purposes lets say you have 2 30 dB fans and 1 40dB fan. I know that you wouldn't have 100 dB becuase that would be super loud, but would that make 40? or 32.5? or something else?

So the question is, What would the total dB of that case be then?

I hope someone could help, this has been bugging me.

Wonder if there is a formula that associates dB to Voltage........like when you 7 volt somthin you'd know what the decibal ratings would be.....

Penguin4x4 said:
Wonder if there is a formula that associates dB to Voltage........like when you 7 volt somthin you'd know what the decibal ratings would be.....

that would be different for different blade designs and different electric motor designs. i doubt there would be a constane correlation between the two unless it was for a specific fan

What you should be able to relate decibels to is the input power versus the rated CFM, because the noice is ineffciency, so if the power to push the rated CFM is less than the input power then a proportion of that wasted power should be the noise it makes ... ... ... ... But a lot of it could be heat too. Might just get a "same city block the ballpark is on" figure.

Road Warrior

To spare some of you from clicking next 25 times here is what it said.......

Suppose, at a given position of a sound-level meter, two machines are nearby.
When (only) machine "A" is running, the meter reads a sound-pressure level of 88 decibels.

When (only) machine "B" is running, the meter reads a sound-pressure level of 90 decibels.
Problem: what sound-pressure level should the meter display if both machines are running at the same time?

With only machine "A" running, the meter indicates 88 decibels.
divide decibels by 10 to get bels: 88/10 = 8.8 bels

Machine A's ratio = 10^8.8 = 630957344.5
( A back-check gives 88 dB, so the ratio value is correct. )

With only machine "B" running, the meter indicates 90 decibels.
divide decibels by 10 to get bels: 90/10 = 9.0 bels

Machine A's ratio = 10^9.0 = 1,000,000,000
( A back-check gives 90 dB, so the ratio value is correct. )

The two ratios may now be added:
630957344.5 + 1,000,000,000 = 1630957345

Take the log of 1630957345 to get 9.212442603...

Multiply by 10 to get decibels: 92 (answer)
( Note: since the original measures have two significant figures, the combined expectation of 92 dB was rounded appropriately.)

So there you have it that would mean the answer to my problem would be...... 10^3=x 10^3=y 10^4=z (log(x+y+z))10=dB

Or something like that....

Last edited:
Say a fan's 55 dB:

55 decibals / 10 = 5.5

Then

10^5.5

Take another fan, say 29dB:

29/10 = 2.9

(10^5.5) + (10^2.9) =

whatever number

then press LOG

then multpily by ten

to get 55.01089531 dB total

i was going to write what penguin wrote...but he just did before :D

that's the right and easiest way to sum up noise level!

Look on the main page (overclockers.com) I have a program to do what you want. (Look for the Paul Macklin article at the start.)

link's here

Hope it helps. :) -- Paul

60e26fcf_Thread_Necromancer.jpeg

Say a fan's 55 dB:

55 decibals / 10 = 5.5

Then

10^5.5

Take another fan, say 29dB:

29/10 = 2.9

(10^5.5) + (10^2.9) =

whatever number

then press LOG

then multpily by ten

to get 55.01089531 dB total

This is tru if both fans are of different RPM/sound. If they are the same sound (same fan at same RPM), then you need to account for the bonus 3db added from spl coupling.

Say, Fan A = 55db
Fan A x 2 = 61dB

diaz, would you care to go into more detail about SPL coupling? I'm comfortable enough working with decibels, though not in the context of SPL (I'm usually messing around with dBm in RF, or dBFS in digital audio). I understand that doubling the power results in a 3 dB gain (since log(2) = 0.3). The only thing I can think of that would come close to providing (or possibly exceeding) an additional 3 dB gain would be resonance, but wouldn't that only come into effect for specific frequencies?

JigPu

Well, I don't know about all those numbers posted above and how accurate it is, but I do think that you would still have to take attenuation into account due to the fact that the fans are inside a case. If you have dempening material on the inside of the case then that would decrease the perceived dB as well.

One thing I do know for sure is that adding 3dB DOUBLES the volume. Granted, an audible whisper is around 30dB and doubling that to 33dB wouldn't be loud at all, but when you begin to get up in the "comfortable" range of 50dB it can make a world of difference. As a quick reference, here are some common settings and their expected dB:

Typical hearing threshold: 20dB
Audible whisper: 30dB
Quiet library: 40dB
Paper rustling: 50dB
Dishwasher:60dB
Alarm Clock: 75dB

So if you're getting upwards of 60dB, methinks you have a problem! lol

diaz, would you care to go into more detail about SPL coupling? I'm comfortable enough working with decibels, though not in the context of SPL (I'm usually messing around with dBm in RF, or dBFS in digital audio). I understand that doubling the power results in a 3 dB gain (since log(2) = 0.3). The only thing I can think of that would come close to providing (or possibly exceeding) an additional 3 dB gain would be resonance, but wouldn't that only come into effect for specific frequencies?

JigPu

SPL coupling happens depending on the distance between to sources with the same sound. They must be aligned towards the same direction and the effect is most intense when they are directly parallel to each other, wheter side by side or stacked in series. The important measure is the lenght of distance between the physical centers of the sources, since this will determine the frequency range that will be affected.

For example, lets say you have two 25mm fans. If you stack them directly together, then you will have a distance of 25mm between the centers. A full wavelength of 25mm is about 13.5kHz. The coupling effect begins at quarter wavelength, so 1/4 of 25mm is 6.25mm.. The effect would begin at about 55kHz.. Which means it will be heard at any frequency under that. Basically, its a bad idea to couple two fans directly to each other with the same frequency output, so as long as both fans have different frequencies (at least RPM), that coupling should not happen. But anything from the range of 1hz to 20kHz of audible range, fans with matching RPM's will gain that 3dB coupling.

Second example, would be two fans directly side by side. If both fans are rotating at the same RPM (or within a certain range), now the separation between the centers is 120mm. The quarter wave becomes 11500Hz, still in the audible range, but it doesn't fully come in effect until 2850Hz and lower. Adding any amount of distance to both fans would exponentially lower the frequency range affected to under 1kHz (1000RPM).

Remedy to that would be to place two (identical) fans at different RPMs, which I would separate until you hear a large drop in sound. Or, if you have two different fans, the RPM separation should be slightly easier to manage since the sound produced by both at the same RPM might be very different, so the coupling might not apply. Lastly, you can angle them away from each other, since the coupling effect dissapears as you angle one away from the other.

3db is twice as loud

3dB = twice the power needed to produce this increase, is basically a noticed increase in volume

6dB = 4 times the power needed to produce the increase, almost perceived as twice as loud.

10dB = perceived twice the volume, or twice as loud.

ACK!!! :shock: I just saw my error! Diaz is, of course, correct. 3dB is a noticeable increase in sound and 10dB is doubling the perceived loudness. I was thinking power and for some damn reason wrote volume. I think I was stuck back in my old job of using explosives where a 3PSI (not dB...durrrr) rating was basically double what we considered acceptable risk.

I blame the drugs for my faux pas! lol

Our ear can differentiate noise only in logarithmic hence dB, so not linear, so say double in noise means nothing.

The simplest analogy is to use these kind of illustration below to have a close estimation how is the noise in dB level translated to our hearing in normal daily condition.

For example, if you can't stand the noise from a faint clock ticking in your room :eek: , then you should consider to use fan less system like fanless heatsink, fanless psu, ssd. :D

noise-chart.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry that's just how it was always explained when I did car audio competitions but maybe its different working with 160db sound and how over bearing it is with our hearing

Back