• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i downgrade my bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

hello i have an asus M2R32-MVP with bios version 1109 and i need to fdowngrade it to bios version 1009 but idk how to and im using xp 64 bit if you need more info ask the reason i want to downgrade is because i found out that the phenom 2 920 works on my board even tho it isnt officialy supported how ever it only work with version 1009 of the bios

The manual for the motherboard should have DOS flashing of bios from Usb stick described pretty well. I know they do have it laid out in the manual for the later boards. That way you can read it and have it in front of you while working.
RGone...

Just download the BIOS onto a USB flash drive, reboot, enter the bios, find the flashing utility (EZ Flash I believe ASUS calls it) and run the utility.

but what do i do if the ez flash tells me my bios is newer then the one on the flash drive

General outline:
Make Usb stick bootable to DOS mode.
Put AFUDOS 2.07 on bootable Usb stick.
Put Bios file on Usb stick.
Boot to Usb stick and use correct bios flashing syntax to try flashing to earlier bios from later bios.

Warning, I accept zip, nada, nyet no responsibility for any issues encountered in flashing to previous bios from later bios. RGone...

Make A bootable USb drive For Flashing From DOS
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/8909-Make-A-bootable-USb-drive-For-Flashing-From-DOS

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lf5mem << Download the file.
UnRAR the downloaded file.

When UNRAR'd you will find:
BOOT folder inside
Boot Software.exe inside
Make USB Bootable.txt inside.

Read the text file. Run the Boot Software exe and you use the files inside the BOOT folder while making the Usb drive bootable. Usb Stick should be formatted FAT32 if possible. It may be that a Usb stick greater than 4Gig will not work.

It is said that when trying to flash to older bios from newer bios that AFUDOS 2.07 is best on those old mobos. Find it. Unzip it if zipped. Place AFUDOS 2.07 exe on the flash drive. Download and put the older bios >> xxxxbios.rom (ensure .rom) onto the Usb stick. Then boot to your Flash drive as indicated #7 below. NOTE everywhere there is a SPACE since the commands do not work if the spaces are not where they should be.

7. Select your bootable USB device in the
Boot Menu and the system will boot into DOS
system.
8. After booting the system into DOS mode,
type the following command at the prompt to flash BIOS,
afudos [filename] /p /b /n /c /x /nr
where [filename] is the latest BIOS file in the bootable USB device.

Note that, the filename of the BIOS file
will always have an extension name as
ROM (i.e. filename.rom). Take 070607s.rom for example, the command you should type at prompt
will be afudos 070607s.rom /p /b /n /c /x /nr

AFTER ANY BIOS Flash, I usually shutdown completely. REmove power from the mobo by pulling power supply plug from wall outlet. Then I clear the CMOS and REapply power and boot into bios to adjust the bios settings as needed.

but what do i do if the ez flash tells me my bios is newer then the one on the flash drive

Are you saying it won't let you proceed when you get this message? Unless it prevents you from doing so, ignore the flasher's warning about the file being older and just continue with the install.

Are you saying it won't let you proceed when you get this message? Unless it prevents you from doing so, ignore the flasher's warning about the file being older and just continue with the install.

He is PMing me now. But I had not read what you wrote until just now. I had looked earlier before I spent all that time typing up the AFUDOS thing. Checking on the older boards, it did seem to indicate the bios itself would not flash backwards. However I imagine he did not try to proceed as you suggest.
RGone...

ya sadly the asus forum boards are dead and i havent tried to downgrade yet i decided to wait till tomorrow afternoon to see if my cureent bios will see the unsupported chip thanks for all the help ill keep you all posted on hoe it goes

Back