• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I get my wired to see my wireless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tithulta

Here the scenario...Bought a Dlink-655 to use for me network after using a Netopia 3347-02-1006 for ages. The netopia is my gateway and I assumed it would be as simple to set it to bridge to the new Dlink. Well nothing ever works as easy as you assume it to be.

While the Netopia has the settings to set it to bridge, it doesn't provide a way to physically bridge the device tot he new one. Netopia has only 4 LAN ports, not internet port or whatever. It's also wireless b if im not mistaken.

Anyhow I'm assuming i can get it to work by selecting the other option in the bridge services and that is to run the Bridge/routing, thus keeping the LAN port working and then just jumping a port to the Internets port on the Dlink.

###################################
Will the above work or will i experience Issues basically sharing 1 LAN port(from the netopia) for the Internet on the Dlink?
###################################

However right now I've gone back to the original state and have my wired devices hooked up to the netopia and using the Dlink wireless since it MUCH faster wireless and the biggest reason i bought the router. (gigabit LAN was the other)

Since only one or the 3 wired PC's have a gigabit lan anyway i figure that'll work for now.

Wireless I have a PC, Wii and a BP that uses the wireless. And any laptops that happen to be in the house from varying family members.

How can i set it up to see the wireless devices and vise versa. Essentially ive got 2 networks and need to get them to talk with each other. Also should I just take the Dlink to my house and look for a new gateway to replace the Netopia.

BTW: I have 2 Networks at 2 locations that i oversee, one at my parents and one at my home. This post regards the setup at my parents, my previous issue with firmware on my Linksys is a issue from my house.

For the first question:
After turning on bridge mode, I'd presume you link from any of the Netopia's LAN ports to the DLink's WAN port. All your other devices are plugged into the DLink.

Second question:
Ethernet cable goes from Netopia's LAN port to the DLink's LAN port. Turn off internal DHCP on the DLink. You should be set. Might as well disable wireless on the Netopia as well.

Thanks I'll try that out next time I'm at my parents. I thought that might be the case. Just got really frustrated with it the other night. After setting the netopia to bridge I realized that i'd need a LAN port to get the internet tot he dlink. So i had a bridge without a connection to the dlink and no way to access the netopia to undo the bridge. Reset it to factory default and began my aggrivation. I had never setup the netopia other than activating its wireless. It of course wanted a admin log in an pW. The netopia is actually a business modem/gateway for bellsouth/at&t. Didnt know that til the tech support person told me. Long story short I got it to working and went back tot the way i knew it'd work.

Thanks for confirming what i thought as i really didnt want the headache of fighting with it without a clear idea of what i needed to do.:santa:

There's probably a few more internal steps that I glossed over :D

I see I failed to mention that the DLink should have it's assigned IP on the same subnet as the Netopia but outside the range of it's DHCP (for example, Netopia = 192.168.1.1 and DLink = 192.168.1.2).

Back