• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I overclock my FX-8350?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madmeatballs

Okay, I know how to overclock(I did it with my 1090t with great success) but now I have an FX-8350. I tried playing with the multiplier as I did with my 1090t but I seem to have this "Illegal Sumout" error on Prime95 for workers 4-8 on prime95(sometimes just 3 workers or when I up the CPU voltage, just 1 worker). I tried 4.3GHz at stock voltages I still get that Illegal Sumout error from Prime95.

Now, do I have a lemon FX-8350? or am I doing something wrong?

Stock IDLE:
KjFb4P.jpg

4Bv6sC.png

Stock prime95:
(currently running I'll wait till 30 mins)

Last edited:
Every CPU is different madmeatballs, that much we have seen. I would suggest a couple of things to start. Can you give us some pics of the CPU at stock under load of Prime95 for about 20 minutes using HWMonitor free version. We'd like to see the HWMonitor capture with the load temps and voltages also CPUz main, SPD and memory tabs if you could. This will start us off on the same page.

While P95 is running have a read through our guide http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

Hey, Johan45! If you remember me you guys helped me with my 1090t! :)
Well I'm currently running prime95 now. I'll post results when I hit 30 mins! I'll post spd aswell.

I have tried a 1hr30min test when I go this but unfortunately I din't take screens of it. Well gotta wait again.

Last edited:
I thought the name was familiar. Welcome back, moving up to the big dog, eh?
That's the first ext4 I think we've had in here I've been curious as to how they would handle the 8 core CPUs

I thought the name was familiar. Welcome back, moving up to the big dog, eh?
That's the first ext4 I think we've had in here I've been curious as to how they would handle the 8 core CPUs

Should be pretty similar to my fatality killer board. Similar features, power, and capacitors anyway.

@op, be sure to check similar posts below yours. Lot of effort and advice to your same question just a couple posts down from this one.

GI've this a read.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749616

Madmeatballs, can you attach the pics directly to the site. I'm at work and the links won't work for me. You can do it through the advanced reply box and using the paperclip to attach them

Well there isn't anything that really sticks out to me. Your socket is likely going to need some extra cooling since you've already got a 16c temp difference. between CPUTIN and package temps. Also your ram is at 1333 instead of 1866. Which brings me to the corsair ram, we sometimes have a bit of trouble with it so I would have you put the CPU_NB voltage to 1.25v right off the bat and give the ram an extra.05v when you set it. Then I would see if you can run for 20 minutes at 4.2 with stock volts after we set the ram and CPU_NB

Here's a couple of pics of the cooling I'm talking about. When using an AIO it takes away airflow that woud normally be present when using an air cooler.

Capturefan.PNG

vrm fans.jpg

They're all 50mm afaik. Trents is the owner of the ones on the VRM. The one on the back of the socke was a 45-50 mm chipset fan they're all held in place with 2 sided tape.

You have a good set up. Runs pretty cool, you have head room for more.

Firstly, set your Ram manually up to 933mhz with 9-10-9-27-48 2T timings. 1.50v. This Ram should overclock nicely with a small volt bump to 1.55v and give the reference clock a few clicks here and there. You want to run them up to around 1000mhz or so and this will definitely yield you some better performance.

edit: also keep the HT multi where it's at. 2600mhz HT is a good starting point. You can bet HT will run 3ghz likely. It doesn't do a whole lot for gaining performance, but every little bit helps.

Looks good so far. Your a quick learner!

Those temp readouts and power (watts) readings can't be right. That CPU is rated for 125w TDP at stock voltages and frequencies. HWMonitor is only showing a max package temp of 34c and a power reading of 60W. Something's wrong there.

And meatball, you need to run that stress test for about 20 minutes. 7 minutes isn't enough to get an accurate pic of max temps. Still, something is wrong with those readouts.

Those temp readouts and power (watts) readings can't be right. That CPU is rated for 125w TDP at stock voltages and frequencies. HWMonitor is only showing a max package temp of 34c and a power reading of 60W. Something's wrong there.

And meatball, you need to run that stress test for about 20 minutes. 7 minutes isn't enough to get an accurate pic of max temps. Still, something is wrong with those readouts.

It's plenty right. He still has turbo and cool n quiet enabled.

In the first picture Cool and Quiet was enabled. That's why you see a power reading at 60w.

APM is still enabled and the ram is in the wrong slots.

EDIT- Doh! too slow.

okay, here we go Illegal sum out again(I followed johan45 try 4.2 at stock CPUv and up the CPU NB v to 1.25 and then adjust ram to 1866):
Wrne9fw.png
VozG1uI.png
vZEBBlo.png
PbI1rGr.jpg
bFYrmuH.jpg
S62osKz.jpg
LWp7Vkc.jpg

(temps might have risen from previous because of ambient temps)

No bsod by the way just 3 cores having an error. Do I have a bad chip?

Back