• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I stop the humming!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Hello all. So I have the Lian Li 011-Dynamic with 9 Lian Li UNI AL fans in it. At first I thought this was a fan problem, but after going through a ton of fans it still has the oscillating low humming noise and it's driving me looney! I even tried using the motherboard headers to control the fans better through the BIOS. The Lian Li software doesn't have many options. Using the motherboard headers actually made them louder though. Has anyone else had this problem before particularly with the case I'm using? Anyone have any ideas? Here's my collection of fans just for ***** and giggles. Thanks guys. 20220512_114551.jpg

I would start by checking every screw and location where metal is touching metal. It may be a spot vibrating instead of a fan. Try squeezing the metal together where a rivet or screw is holding multiple pieces of metal together to see if it stops.

I wouldn't know where to begin without hearing it. It could be a loose screw causing a vibration, for sure.

Did you try pressing on the chassis in different places to see if removing/adding tensions helps?

It could also be whatever the case is sitting on. With my previous build, when the case was in a specific spot it would hit the resonant frequency of the desk and hum loudly. If I moved it an inch in any direction, it was silent.

I think automata is right. I moved it around a bit and it got noticeably more quiet. But I can still hear it. Is there something I could put in between the case and tabletop or the tabletop and shelves?

I think automata is right. I moved it around a bit and it got noticeably more quiet. But I can still hear it. Is there something I could put in between the case and tabletop or the tabletop and shelves?
You could put something between the case and desk, but I found putting it closer to the supports of the desk to help the most. You may have to move it around or rotate it to see what works the best.

I'm glad moving it helped. The humming annoyed me for awhile before I figured out the cause.

Hello all. So I have the Lian Li 011-Dynamic with 9 Lian Li UNI AL fans in it. At first I thought this was a fan problem, but after going through a ton of fans it still has the oscillating low humming noise and it's driving me looney! I even tried using the motherboard headers to control the fans better through the BIOS. The Lian Li software doesn't have many options. Using the motherboard headers actually made them louder though. Has anyone else had this problem before particularly with the case I'm using? Anyone have any ideas? Here's my collection of fans just for ***** and giggles. Thanks guys.
Any chance the low humming noise might be coming through the speakers?

I had a few lian li cases back in the day. I tried everything I could think of to end the damnable ever present hum but ended up switching cases until I found the right one. Only cases that were quiet enough for me were the fractal r5 with most of the fans installed with rubber vibration damping screws and the fractal torrent completely stock. If you love the lian li you could try these https://www.amazon.com/Vibration-Dampening-Silicone-Rubber-Fan/dp/B00TAABILQ or something similar.

How do you like the Torrent? I guess putting a 360 rad up front with 3 120's would be pointless huh?
Post magically merged:

Any chance the low humming noise might be coming through the speakers?
Nope. I think it's what Automata said. When I life it up off the desk the humming goes away. Some kind of resonance going on.
Post magically merged:

More airflow ought to cover up any weird rattles (y)
No rattles, just an up and down low humming sound.

How do you like the Torrent? I guess putting a 360 rad up front with 3 120's would be pointless huh?
Post magically merged:

Nope. I think it's what Automata said. When I life it up off the desk the humming goes away. Some kind of resonance going on.
Post magically merged:

The Torrent is a top-tier case for an air-cooled system and comes with plenty of fans. However, it is awkward with AIOs. A similar case that is better suited for AIOs is the CM H500P Mesh, but with a glass side panel and psu shroud, the GPU temps increase.

Post magically merged:

Post magically merged:

A table top or a desktop can act like a sound board, amplifying whatever sounds and vibrations are being made by the sound source. Put something soft and porous under the feet of the case. That should help. A felt pat or piece of carpet might do it.

Also, in my experience these kinds of noises are not always due to one fan but to the collective vibration frequencies of all of them acting in concert. Sometimes it helps to change the speeds of the individual fans so that they are likely to be in concert.

I have an XL and I had an annoying him for awhile too, turned out to be one of my fans. I sources it down by stressing the system so fans went full speed, then stopped each fan by putting my finger on the hub of the fan until I could find out which one it was.

I eneded up swapping all of the fans out for BeQuiet Light Wings and the only noise I hear anymore is our clock and the refrigerator in the neighboring room.

Post magically merged:

Post magically merged:

Sorry for the late reply. I like the torrent so far. It's freakin big but temps are lower across the board. It seems expensive until you factor in that you don't really need to buy any fans unless you're nuts like me and feel better with the rear fan spot filled despite it making no difference. Everything tucks behind the motherboard tray and the built in fan controller works great so no need for extra clutter. Hard drive is behind the motherboard too. It's strange seeing basically nothing in there except what's on the motherboard but I like it. With the mobo controlling temps I hear nothing at idle. Haven't tried water yet though.

Back